Do newer NVIDIA GPUs require drivers for displaying native resolution

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by acyuta, Nov 13, 2011.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I would really like to seek help on the below issue (which is not a problem per se but has been bugging me).

1. I recently replaced NVIDIA 9800GT with a GTX560.
    2. System hardware is in my signature alongwith a Samsung Syncmaster P2350 1920*1080.
    3. Previously with 9800GT during windows 7 install, the OS used to just install and show the first desktop with the native monitor resolution 1920*1080. I used to install Nvidia drivers anyway but not installing them did not lead to the below problem:
    4. with gtx560, windows 7 installs properly but now at showing desktop for the first time, it shows standard vga adapter and with resolution like 1024*768 (which is basically bigger characters). I can get the native resolution on my monitor only after installing nvidia drivers.
    5. Is something the issue with the gpu fitting or is it now the case with newer nvidia gpus. Please note that I have a core i7-920,X58 with no onboard display.
    6. I have no problems at all with nvidia drivers (install them anyway) but do not know whether they are a prerequisite for getting native monitor resolution for newer nvidia gpu. Have searched the net but could not find any resolution to this issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Windows 7 does not have included generic drivers that supports your VGA, and of course all resolutions for your GTX560..

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #3 acyuta, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    (OP)
    The issue is not whether or not to install nvidia drivers (which I always do and am using 285.62). The point on which I was seeking clarity is that nvidia 9800 gt and windows 7 did not require gpu drivers to display 1920*1080 (native res) but nvidia gtx560 and windows 7 require (without these, device manager-display adapters-shows standard vga adapter). With nvidia drivers, of course it shows nvidia gtx560.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek:Isn't the answer obvious, 7 has forceware in it but obviously it will be old and not detect a newer card. By the way 285.62 are buggy drivers they reduce performance a bit on some setups so on a mid range card like yours it might reduce performance and cause issues in some games.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #5 acyuta, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks a lot but when I purchased GTX560 in early-Nov, I started with the first ones on nvidia site (275.33) for gtx560, and then after a day or two, moved to 285.62. Do have the interim ones 280.26 too. I do not have intensive gaming requirement and just had some cash to burn, and the need to upgrade, and so got what was best/available in my price range.

Regarding 285.62, newer drivers supposedly have a better uninstall/upgrade option.
    If I need to go to 285.62 to 280.26 (downgrade), will custom install--perform a clean install-be better than
    express-which is supposed to preserve settings but then I have no settings to preserve.

Going thru Nvidia forums, nearly all their drivers are buggy for someone, but as I do not game much, they have been fine for me.
    Anyway, for windows 7 and 9800Gt, I used to have a system image prior to installing nvidia drivers. Obviously that will not work now since without the drivers, I will be stuck with vga res of 1024*768 and building the system to final point with only nvidia drivers left is very painful on a 1024*768 res.

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek:Why on earth did you get a 560 for if you don't game, was IMHO a waste of cash.
    To me 280.26 is the most stable of the 280 build of drivers, but it really depends on your setup.
    The clean install wipes out settings so you start fresh. For stability it's a good option to use.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #7 acyuta, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
    (OP)
    Could be a waste of cash, but that was for the past. My son is into gaming (not the ones so far which require GTX560 but is getting there) and I do some so though sometimes. Plus for me, the biggest thing was the improvement in display quality of a samsung syncmaster p2350 (which was so so to begin with) but with the significant improvement to my eye, I can postpone the purchase.

On nvidia 9800GT, i stayed on 258.96 for a year, used 280.26 for 2 months and found them stable, and am using 285.62 which have so far not caused issues.

One more help: I recently bought a Dell XPS15 and the dell website has nvidia drivers at around 268.30. For whatever it is worth, the WEI for graphics aero was 5.9 without nvidia drivers. Never install dell websites' 268.30 but have however installed 280.26 notebook drivers from nvidia site. With 280.26 notebook drivers, the WEI sits at 5.5 now despite repeated reassessments. Now 268 are mid-2011 drivers and so not too old. Should I remain with 280.26 for notebook or go to 268.. dell drivers through a installer-clean uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks a lot for your help. Perhaps Windows 8 will have generic drivers for newer GPUs, USB 3.0, esata (that is switch on/off within windows). Without Jmicron drivers, switching off esata hard disk causes windows to take a lot of time in shutting down. Plus also something on the lines of intel rst. Without those, windows and acronis always do not get the correct BIOS port ordering of the hard disk (I prefer putting system disk on the first port).

8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Regardless of anything else, unless absolutely necessary you should always run the display in the native resolution. You will probably get better quality images by dropping other visual settings (antialiasing stregth, method etc) than using a lower resolution with antialiasing. Some settings shouldn't be adjust, such as anistropy which has an almost negligible effect on performance between 0x and 16x (using modern drivers etc, not 6 year old info from old webpages).

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I've seen that issue with WEI , you should stick with the newest most stable drivers and not bother with WEI.