Do you like the new Metro Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Skylined, Sep 14, 2011.

?

Which Start Menu do you prefer?

1. New 8102 Metro Start Menu

36.4%
  2. Old Windows 7 Start Menu

63.6%
  1. thomas13203

thomas13203 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    debian or linux in general sucks dog but. it is impossible to do anything without major problems. playing videos doesnt work out of the box cant change hardware without major problems no av chat in yahoo messenger or windows live or aim. half the hardware out there wont work because of lack of drivers. half the time programs fail to install. games wont run. to much is left to the comand line. since dumping xp windows beats linux into the dust. ok ms had two bad windows versions me and xp but they more than made up for it with windows 7 and if they include an option to turn of metro on non touch screen hardware windows 8 will rule. not to mention thank God windows 8 uses uefi. from everything i have read that will be so much better than mbr.thank God that keyboard only navigation in the bios is a thing of the past. Better boot times thanks to uefi and windows 8 also. it is a win win situation. i would say secure boot is the best thing to happen since the gui since it will cut down on malware and yes linux should be clasified as malware with all the problems it causes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. thomas13203

thomas13203 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    linux bites the dust. windows rules

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tN0

tN0 MDL Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I don't like the new Start screen for several reasons. I did gave it a fair chance and I'm aware it is still pre-beta but there are fundamental issues with it:

• It just offers not enough functionality on the first level while at the same time using the whole screen. This makes sense on a mobile device with the "glance and go" conception. But not on a desktop that you may use 8 hours or longer every day.
    • useful functionality is gone: the "recent" list in the Windows 7 Start menu was brilliant because you don't have to search every time for apps that you only use from time to time and don't want to pin
    • where are the Jump Lists? With Windows 7 it was extremely fast and easy to open again the last Word document you were working on without one single action from the user to personalize anything: open Start menu, hover over Word in the recent apps list, select the first document from the Jump List. Good luck with opening the last document in Windows 8! It is not possible anymore.
    • Instant search only works for apps but not for control panel elements or files. Makes starting a lot slower
    • too many and long mouse movements are required for basic tasks.

4. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I really can't get used to the MetroUI at least on a desktop.. if i had some kind of touchscreen device i'm sure it would be handy but yea.. Old Startmenu for meeee :)

5. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    I got to use a tablet with metro on it and i can tell you that the requirements on the tablet are the same as any tablet out today.
    Its also likely the fastest os on a tablet i seen yet.

Not the color is annoying but options to change that are likely going to be included.

On the desktop its a fail since most don't have touch screens and it requires more clicking around around to do the same thing.

But this is prebeta so whats yet to come is likely going to be quite different.

6. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I hope they add an option during installation:
    a) I am an idiot and just want to play around with full screen website like app s**t!
    b) I actually want to work productively with my computer and not get huge biceps from fingering around on my screen at least 8 hours a day.

7. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    LOL. Good options.