Do you pirate games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TKnuckles, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Sunkist4life

Sunkist4life MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2018
    If it is not on Steam comes by ship, rare exceptions, and usually when I want to test a game I download by alternative means to conferior whether or not it is worth buying.

2. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I am 50/50 on this, i buy some indie games to support small studios like Running With Scissors, i also buy oldie classics from GOG, however i pirate every AAA game nowadays simply because AAA developers and publishers are too greedy with their microtransactions/lootboxes and they treat their customers like cows for milking, they don't deserve my money. :)

3. Yep, used to have a Steam account with 100+ games but now I prefer to pirate stuff for practical reasons (doesn't need an account) :)

4. browneylad

browneylad MDL Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Past months haul not bad, nearly 20+ games for free from friends :p so no need or reason to pirate. Now there are so many platforms running sales all year round at such discounted prices that you get really good games at very good value.

5. jan13

jan13 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2016
    There is no such platform, offers free and many at good prices.

6. Chronidus

Chronidus MDL Junior Member

Oct 24, 2007
    If I like the game I pay for it, if its s**t I un-install it and move on

7. psi7

psi7 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2018
    Huh-huh. Never pirating games, because with a game 99% of the times you receive a small present, Trojan. It's easy to buy somewhere (like GOG).

8. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #68 Muerto, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021

9. Arch_Sta

Arch_Sta MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2018
    Yes. But i bought the ones i play all the time.

Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, Witcher 3 (not buying witcher 3 is a sin!).

10. amajmon

amajmon MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Without pirates you would buy all those games and face it that much of them are crap. It would be very expensive job against you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    I used to download games to try it out before I buy, but I no longer do that now.

I no longer do that now, because I grew out of playing video games altogether.

I grew out of playing video games altogether, because of pay-to-win, loot boxes, skin gambling, and angry gamers.

On YouTube, AJcaraballo95 has a compilation of angry gamers which give a rough idea of why I grew out of gaming.

12. caxhatq

caxhatq MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    Games werent really available in my country on legit stores where i could buy them and support the devs/companies of the games, they just sold cracked games that were bulk copied on CD-ROM/DVD-ROMs which sometimes (more like 60+%) didn't even contain the full game by itself and were ripped copies with the music/videos cut out or sometimes they wouldn't just work. So as soon as the internet got better to browsable speeds and bit torrent tech came out I left those darn copy stores and downloaded a lot of games. Yes i still download.

13. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I don't play computer games a lot and only single player, but every now and then I might fire up an old classic I've held onto. Some of them I've had to actually go back and find cracked versions because they can no longer validate.

I'm pretty picky about adding new games into the archive. Usually they're older and only available in a form that bypasses DRM. I don't run Steam and don't want to so that limits things quite a bit.

I do pay for games when they're something I want to hang to, but it's hard to find modern PC games that don't require Steam. It seems the driving force is online play using Steam and I'm not interested in either.

14. RideTheLightning

RideTheLightning MDL Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Yes I pirate games, but mostly games I already own physically which can't really be dumped properly (PC Games with Origin and Steam)
    Also Wii U, 3DS and Switch games which I have no intent ruining and hacking my consoles for in order to dump.

I also download games that I don't own occasionally (digital games that don't have a physical release for example)

I don't feel bad or guilty one bit, I've spent more than enough money on games in my life, a few freebies is OK in my book.

My game collection is around 93% owned games and 7% freebies, of the 93% owned games around 10-15% is pirated due to lack of proper dump methods.

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I neither pirate nor play games. It's not about morals or ethics, it's about not seeing anything that's worth stealing.

I used to like games like Commander Keen, The Lost Vikings and Shamus. And the games were a distraction from the stress of work.
    These days, I spend a lot of time on my computer, so I'd rather get out and take a walk.

NB: The more complexity a game has, the more it drives the player to want to upgrade their hardware.
    The same holds true for Digital Music production.

You can become frustrated very quickly when you realize that your hardware doesn't have what it takes to play a really cool game.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Oh, come on! We all know your rig can play any game out there!:pardon::dance:

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  18. Noflufftech

Noflufftech MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2018
    Free is good :)

19. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    yes I do but 9 times out of 10 I own it anyway.

20. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    After years and years of not pirating games I have just done one.

Resident Evil 2, Remake.

WOW !