Do you pirate games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TKnuckles, Jan 7, 2018.

1. levi78574275

levi78574275 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2019
    I was pretty desperate for video games, I didn’t have money or a credit card myself which meant I couldn’t buy games myself or online games myself. My parents also wanted me to focus on my studies, so I rarely got any games for birthdays, events and etc. My brothers were older, they taught me that you could Pirate games, I thought that this was one hell of a miracle. Downloading games, for free?! Amazing! Spectacular! But how naive I was, little did I know that people would be big assholes, putting viruses inside the Folders. Even then I didn’t stop, it was my best option at that time so I just learnt to remove them.

Now I’m older I buy my own games, legally and safely. But it was a thrilling experience to be honest.

2. Mohammed Naeem Uddin

Dec 27, 2019
    I pirate a lot of single player story based games like the recent Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, i mostly test games and see if it is worth my time and may consider purchasing it. Pirating online games is just bothersome to deal with so I don't pirate them. I just keep it safe by downloading games I know that are good.

3. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    GOG and if it's not on GOG then I pirate every game I can get because why shouldn't I? DRM, tracking and spying...

It's not that you can't buy the game and still pirate it because you dislike cancer platforms like Steam & Co.

4. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I buy all my games because I like the online experience. But I never buy them from retail shops or game platforms because there are cheaper alternatives.

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I’m gunna get back into pirating games. All be it PSX games, I got a PS Classic for crimbo. Hacked it already.

It’s like the old days..

6. Does downloading ROMs of games and playing them under emulators count as "pirating"? Just wondering, because I did this when I was younger (but mostly of retro stuff).

7. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Yep, it does unless you have the legitimate hard copy of the game in your possession and even then you're "only" permitted to make a single copy for yourself (not for friends not to mirror them online).

Playing the actual ROM in an emulator is not pirating, but how you got the ROM / BIOS file is "critical" because most people downloading the "ROM collections" from Google Drive etc which is pirating.

8. Zoomerduck

Zoomerduck MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2020
    OF COURSE! And if i like it, I BUY IT!

9. nikeswissha

nikeswissha MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2020
    I have a bunch of PS1/PS2/PS3 discs I am attempting to rip and preserve. Maybe 60+ copies easily.

10. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    So PS3 games...

I remember getting into hacking the PS3 until I go an email from Sony....That put me right off..

Is there still a PS3 hacking scene ? Are you into PS3 hacking ? Please do tell if you are.

I actually played the PS3 for the first time in, ohh years..Only have one game now, PGA Tour 09..
    Maybe it's time to get into hacking it...

Dont play many games now, but PC game are the thing for me...

11. westn

westn MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2018
    yes,is free

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^
    :rofl:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Bat STILL broke :( But hims two old too play games o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #114 Michel, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Some companies deserve to lose money on piracy. Let's talk about those developers that create some s**tty remasters, they tweak a bit on the graphics and bam €30 - €60 euro's. Back in the old gaming days game developers would release this as a "free" patch. Same counts for all those money hungry lootboxes/map packs/weapon packs and so on. In the old days we got that free (yes you read it right...FREE), since xbox/playstation came to the market and charged money for it in their stores. Since then we have to pay for everything they create. People (the mindless ones) even accept it that a developer cuts content from a game and offer it later as paid dlc.

That said...

Look at the s**tty release of cyberpunk 2077 ... and people still have high hopes that CDPR will fix their s**tty game. The most funny thing is that people always defend a company like this, even after a disaster.

Why do people pirate ? because they are not that stupid to waste money on overpriced games. If they would charge 20-30 euro for each game then piracy will drop alot.

15. KittyTech

KittyTech MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2011
    Long time ago I did on the Nintendo DS's but they managed to keep pushing update for the game and all that. I just had to disable the internet so it won't try to enforce the update.

Now since I got the switches, I hardly did anything. It's like I know they are watching but at the same time, I don't have a lot of time on my hand to bother and decided to wait it out. Except I do get pokemon games. Lol.

16. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Absolutely.
    Why? Beacuse I cant afford spending 60+ USD on every game i wanna try. If I like it I might buy it at sale.
    Also developers doesnt seem to care about the game or the community anymore, sometimes i see people having problems on retailgames which pirated games doesnt

Also I play PS and PS2 games on my PC

17. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I torrent games. If I like em I buy em. I buy elusively DRM free as well.

18. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes I download cracked games. I also purchase games that I want to see more of in the future. Honestly there isn't many games that I truly consider good enough to buy these days. Maybe I'm just getting older. I only play single player games. I don't like games with too much political nonsense in them. Far too many games these days are either multiplayer, have tons of microtransactions in them, or have a bunch of political stuff in them. I play games to escape from the real world, not to hash out some political debate.

19. dudeluv

dudeluv MDL Senior Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I pay for my Games, but I hardly ever play them anymore

20. raptorddd

raptorddd MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2019
    when i owned the nintendo nes. sega genesis. turbo grafx 16 gaemboy sega saturn sega dreamcast xbox 1 and xbox 360 and PC i bought all my games. the
    xbox 360 was my last console.
    now i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks i dont a have a job no income cant even go places cause of panic attacks.
    so now i do download games but old games. i just beat halo 1. looking to find halo 2. also playing max payne 2.