Do you regret the W8 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Beio, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Do you regret the W8 upgrade?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Not sure yet

19 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    I was a W8 enthusiast. I tried the RTM on my desktop pc without installing too much stuff. Actually it was just to familiarize with the new interface and everything looked pretty and cool.
    Fast booting, virtually a couple of issue and incompatibility that I did not even experienced but could suspect...

So I upgraded my notebook (my primary machine) to W8 Pro.
    And obviously, everything looked pretty and cool. I installed my usual software, discovered a couple of issues with fifa 13. I don't know if it's a problem with the Nvidia drivers for my video card, or EA that hasn't released a proper patch up to now that grant a full compatibility with W8.

So I wasn't 100% satisfied but what made me write this thread is when I opened a 81-page word 2013 document and the scroll and typing lag. I disabled the hardware acceleration as suggested in some blog I found googling the problem, but this worked yesterday, today it lags even more. Just scrolling the page of the document uses my cpu resources for a 24-26% (I have an i-5 2.27ghz). So I can't tolerate that the latest softwares for microsoft is so badly optimized.

I am confident that they fix all these errors because in this way a simple task like using a word processor is just frustrating and almost impossible. :(

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Not sure what is meant by this poll: Is it an upgrade from 7 to 8 or a clean install? I think, that there are big differences in performance.

3. Tribbiani

Tribbiani MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2012
    So far, no.

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Absolutely no regrets here. Runs like a charm so far. All my games i tested so far react as in win 7. Did a fresh install btw. :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    I meant an upgrade generally speaking.
    I installed on a brand new HDD for the occasion so clean installation... but "upgrade" because before 8 I was using 7... that's what I meant, sorry I didn't specified it!

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    So, this is clear now and I only can say, that i like 8 and do not regret to have chosen this OS as my primary one

7. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    No regrets here.

@ Beio: Looks to me that you have problems with Office, so why the poll about Win8 :dunno:

8. rovama

rovama MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2010
    After hearing so many complains about its new interface I thought I was gonna have a hard time with it, but it was not the case. So far I like it and I'm not going back to Windows 7 :p :D

9. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    because it wasn't the only problem I faced. I talked about compatibility and other issues, office is just the major one because since it is software developed by microsoft it seems a joke that they're not optimized to work smoothly together. But this is not just about Office.

I love the apps, the new interface and so now. It just doesn't work as efficiently as it was with 7 (at least this is my experience up to now).
    I'm checking in an obsessive manner for new updates and hotfixes. Crossing my finger, I don't want to go back to 7...

10. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    "Do you regret the W8 upgrade?"

No, because it allowed me to see Win7 with new eyes of appreciation :D

Win7 is in every way superior to Win8 for desktop users (except perhaps on paper, which doesn't mean anything). I have run Win8 on several (advanced) hardware configurations and it just doesn't perform as well as Win7. Win8 is also buggier and less stable than Win7. Win7 is by now a very well-oiled machine, whereas Win8 is an OS with teething-pains, and other pains you can't get rid off (like touch screen interface for a desktop PC, and annoying Metro App overlay and very annoying security features that cripple things for power users).

There are now murmurs that Microsoft will not release a Win7 SP2, and today I read they are probably also not going to release DirectX 11.1 for Win7 (fully). This all smells like Microsoft is actively seeking to diminish Win7 and make it harder and harder for general users to like it over time. But since they are going to have to give support to it until 2020, at least we will have a very stable and functional OS until at least that time. Then we may all hope that MS will have come to their senses for Win9 and make a Desktop and/or Enterprise version only that will be focused on the serious Windows user.

There is nothing that Win8 can do that Win7 can't do better. I'm not going to talk about an App Store, who needs that? Win7 is, simply put, superior for the desktop PC. I am glad I left Win8 behind, I'll give it another try when it goes SP1. I just made an up-to-date Win7 image so I'm ready to forget about the whole Win8 debacle :eek:

11. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Installing an OS other than for testing, that is still in it's infancy for a main OS, is just asking for troubles

12. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I think that sums up my Win8 experience pretty well -- and I got what I asked for :D

13. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes.
    I've used Win8 since August, but a few days ago I went back to Win7.
    I haven't had any performance or stability problem, I just couldn't stand the Metro UI any more.
    At the beginning I liked it a lot :)eek:), but then I got sick of it.

14. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    "Not sure yet"

Performance on my Turion X2 1.9Ghz / nVidia Go 7200 (main machine) is good so far. I had a couple spells where the machine kept BSODing on boot. Don't know what's going on there.

My Netbook (1.6Ghz Neo, AMD X1200) is good... except I experience poor video playback performance compared to windows 7, and that PC is my media PC hooked up to my TV, so I've been booting back into W7 for now.

Both machines are running what I think are really Vista video drivers that I had to scavenge from the W7 partition.

15. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    I installed Windows 8 Pro on to my laptop and one of the first things I did was install 'startisback' and have it boot straight to the desktop.
    So I've put off installing it on my main desktop PC as there is no real advantage over Windows 7 for me.

Now if I had a touch screen or tablet then I probably would go with W8.

16. josepistola

josepistola MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    I did a clean install and works very good.
    I'm happy.

Oh! I just hate the font in IE10... But I use Chrome :)

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i will just skip w8..
    i will stick to the desktop experience,,
    and w7 serves me well..
    m$ streamlined some code, in w8, hope to
    see that in a w7 update, someday..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    So far I am vary happy with it I did a clean install had no driver problems (Except for HP printer which i have just moved to my old laptop running XP)
    I haven't used a start replacement and have got used to navigating without it,

I cant see me moving back to win 7 as the only way to understand a new OS is to use it properly

So yes I am Happy to have moved to Windows 8 :D

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I still work with both Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well as with XP for some special work. Later is more less over the last few weeks while finding that I could use that old Apps as well in Windows 8 (which were impossible in Windows 7) and I think I could leave Windows XP totally in a short time and same will happen to Windows 7!

That said: NO I didn't regret to go to Windows 8.

20. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    #20 ambidav, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017