Do you regret the W8 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Beio, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Do you regret the W8 upgrade?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Not sure yet

19 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. digitalcuriosity

digitalcuriosity MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2012
    I just upgraded from Win7 to Win8 on one of my five laptops, used my ASUS G73 and except for some older programs that can't be installed, I have had no problems with it. I noticed today there was a Windows update for the 8 also 13 updates for my other 7 computers. I will know more after using the 8 more over time.

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    hmmmmmmm nice install lol :blowup: well im running windows 7 and 8 side by side one problem im having is with the usb 3.0 it seems it does recognize a usb 3.0 hard drive but has problems with a flash drive usb 3.o im using the 128 Gig voyager by corsair, it does recognize it on the same computer if I plug it into a usb 2 port o_O so im still debating about windows 8 :(

3. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    #23 Cal-123, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    I tried the RP (or something like that - anyway the one right before the RTM) in VMware for a few days and it was just OK to me. I saw nothing but the load to the interface was a bit faster than my Win 7 Pro, but of course it had little installed.

I could possibly get used to the Win 8 system, but as I use a desktop and have my Win 7 tweaked a bit with only necessary services and it is pretty lean and fast. I see 8 as just another system to tweak and play with, that's for a desktop only it is rather useless to me. I'd rather develop a bit more skill with one of the Linux distros, as a Linux system can do much more that a closed OS like Window 8 IMO.

4. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    I do not reget it in the least. But then again, im on a S7S.

5. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    run this crap virtually, is the only way I could stand it. Send too much information to m$ and that pisses me off. The "start" menu is really distracting, interrupts whatever you are doing and when an 'app' is full screen distract the attention to what you are doing in parallel. I really dont know how a system administrator would deal with this crap, its pretty annoying. And if I want my old start menu, I just stay with 7, we dont need to move, there is no reason to move.

6. TShadow

TShadow MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2007
    Well I finally installed Windows 8 on another partition on my Laptop, just to be safe I decided for a dual boot. After 'playing' a bit with it, I installed Office 2013 and some other (for me) import programs. Everything works fine. I also installed Start8, but still have to decide if I can live without the start menu or I absolutely need it. The tiles? Well when I'm setting up a system for some professionals like doctors, lawyers, architects or whatsover, as those people simply don't have the time to know much about the OS, they have to use their special programs and need to access them easily from the Desktop, most of them don't need the MS apps you find on Win 8. For the most part these people are happy with their older Nokia phones because quite simple to use, they don't like Android or Apple, too complicated. Well I'm doing some tests with those people who were using until now XP or Windows 7. Didn't find anyone who was able to figure out what to do on the new startscreen of Windows 8. They absolutely need the Desktop and Startmenu, otherwise someone needs to explain to them how it works. That means losing precious time. Personally speaking I am happy that I installed Windows 8. It means more work for me :) The Apple system is so much simplier, don't know why MS must complicate things. Tiles seems ok on a tablet however, much easier to use on a touchscreen than with a mouse and keyboard. Well done MS, now people need my help more than previously.

7. c3po

c3po MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Yes and No.
    Yes - for my system with Windows 7 - except Metro UI nothing new. At beginning has faster start, but after installing all my software - no difference.
    No - for my computers runing Xp is good, because Xp will ends support in about a year. I have retail Xp licences, so now I have an OS to tun until 2012.

Anyway - I use Classic Shell menu. No way Metro - i don't have touch.

8. whoareyouxda

whoareyouxda MDL Member

May 4, 2011
    Nope, Love it! and got all my friends/family on Windows 8 Pro with Media Center now!

9. elvis4th

elvis4th MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    No, not yet, I guess i'm having the same issues with my video card where my drivers are not found on w8 or the ATI (maker of my video card) I'm stuck with MS basic display adapter driver, and i can't connect to a external device because of that.
    (ATI Radeon Xpress 1250) if anyone cares to help....

10. eydee

eydee Guest

I used the RTM for a month. I liked it only because I like new stuff and I wanted to like it. After all organizing the start screen with almost 300 programs installed turned out to be a nightmare. I missed the start menu really bad. I missed my desktop gadgets too. I know, these can be hacked back to the OS, but going back to win7 did that without 3rd party tools. I'm not planning to use win8 as a main OS again as long as it's in its current state. It's just unnecessary inconvenience without gaining anything but the ability to say that I have the latest OS.

11. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I don't regret the Upgrade to Windows 8. Also the golden rule of installing an os is, that if you want a clean system then you do a realy clean install with formating the harddisk. Everything else is messy. And to the XP-nostalgies: If you realy know the time, when XP was released, it took MS 2 SP to make it to a near perfect OS to this time in PC-History. And by the way you got to install a XP on a 1GHz CPU with 128 MB ram and yes this was the slideshow-eXPerience. Installed in a record time of 90 Minutes. The XP standed a long time for eXPerimental in that time. The reign of XP has ended with Windows 7, which was in my opinion only a major big ass ServicePack for Vista. Windows 7 was everthing, what Vista should have been and what Vista was advertised. Also a big downside of XP is, that you are limited to 4 GB (with the ram from the grafic-card) ram. :aglerks:

About every Os from MS beginning with DOS 1.0 was bitched and moand at the beginning. Only a small number of them were real and complete failures from the beginning to the end. And yes there was a time, when tinkering with a mouse in the os was seariosly questioned, because the then so called experts couldn't grasp the usefullness of such a device, because back then they were faster with the keyboard. Back then the usefullness of a mouse was only realy unchallenged on a Apple Macintosh to play some games. Every time a new OS from MS came out, there was consiberaly number of selve-proclaimed experts, who had forseen the real quick demise of MS. :fuyou31: Don't think that MS is run by a bunch of real big idiots. They know how to make money.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I originally had forced myself to learn it. Now its nothing more than everyday use like any other OS. Once I fingered my way through it and gave some time to adjust, I am good with it.

In the end, whether I continue to use it (I even purchased a new system and Windows 8) or not, It was a good learning experience. One I will use as time moves on and the company decides to adopt it, well if they choose to. I can only give them my informed opinion, the rest is up to them.

13. Marcin-prv

Marcin-prv MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    Upgraded from Release Preview :)

14. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I have a few regrets from the bugs I've seen in the software and compatibility with some games since I'm using Server 2012 (legally I might add). Been using that for the past couple of months last I checked anyhow if it wasn't for the bugs I'd be satisfied. However with the bugs its close to being regrettable with the amount I use the desktop computer.

15. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I love it and it has been completely stable. Runs smoother and faster then 7 as well. In short. I will NOT be going back to 7. Ever.

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #38 Shenj, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Not sure if serious :nono2:, you are not supposed to pin EVERYTHING you install. (It's only pinning fresh installed software for the purpose of Legacy compatbility so that you don't have to fiddle in All Apps to add the app you actually want for quick-access, instead you Unpin the stuff you don't want after Install, this behaviour can't be helped.. any other Solution would be awful)

It seems that Microsofts implemention of the Startscreen is not understood at all :(
    If you want to 1:1 Compare W7 Startmenu with W8 Startscreen you get following:
    Pin/Recently Opened = Startscreen, but only for "Pin", no Recently Opened list available
    All Programs = All Apps

The Startscreen is really not meant to combine Pin/All Programs, if you use it like that you are doing it wrong and will only clutter the Startscreen needlessly

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Emy12

Emy12 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    Upgradedto the backup laptop (XPS 15Z), it is working perfect so far. I have notinstalled many software, but is faster, under 15 seconds boot time (normal hddand no office installed), and is very responsive and stable.
    Yes itwill be some compatibility issues with some software, for instance the onlysoftware I have is Sticky password that does not show caption button on IE 10, so Iuse Firefox.
    I might install it on main laptop too.

18. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    No, I don't regret upgrading to Windows 8 - not even a little bit. In fact, I am typing this from my activated x64 Pro with Media Center (dual-boot with Server 2012).

I do everything on Windows 8 I used to do on Windows 7 - and then some. In other words, I do more on Windows 8 - not less.

The typing/entry lag issue is not unique to Windows 8 (or even to Word or other document apps) - I've had the issue in every browser, and in Windows 7 and Server 2012 as well; my suspicion is that it's a driver issue, exacerbated by my keyboard being wireless and USB.