Do you think a wall on the border with Mexico can stop the immigrants?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will the wall be effective against illegal immigrants?

1. Yes, the wall will be largely effective

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. It will only have a small effect not worth the cost

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. No, it will be a monumental failure

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    OK, back to rational debate...

My point is that the USofA has to change their foreign policy, in order to stop creating instability in the region, to begin with (let's leave Middle East, Far East or GUUAM etc. for now), then we will see the serious slowdown in refugees and migrants, as everybody wants to see this happen.

If some have a problem with Chomsky, see here: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._The_Case_of_Public_Law_480_Wheat_in_Colombia

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/countries/americas/colombia/us-policy-in-colombia

The other point is - supply and demand. If the US economy is growing, then they find a way to get the labour, whether it's blue or white collar or proper high-brow brain-drain, legally or otherwise. This is US interest we are talking about, corporations, more than any other organisation/interest.

I mean, to a reasonable person, this would be a systemic approach to the problem (or series of problems).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: I kind of surmised that about you, that you were a refugee from the former YU states. My heart goes out to those poor souls who were persecuted there.

Yes, the USA does have a crappy foreign policy. That's mainly because it's driven by economics and not so much humanitarianism. It should be a fair balance of the two. That would be a symbiotic relationship.

It seldom is, I'm sorry to say. And you're right about that. It does need to be improved.

Also, please do not place too high a value on acedemic achievements. I am by no means dumb.

And I have never stepped foot into a college, other than to visit friends.

I taught myself to read at 4 years old (My mom's words...not mine.) I taught myself higher order mathematics, Physics and Electronics by the time I was 12. served my country, got out and worked my way up from a technician to Test Engineer to software consultant for a famous Aerospace company.

I have taken a few sabbaticals from intellectual pursuits to try to understand the human condition.

Here's what I've learned:

There's no greater gift than the love of another human being.

If you sit and listen to the problems of others, you learn vital things about yourself. And just listening can often times make the difference between a person solving their problem or giving up. Many suicides have been prevented by practicing that simple philosophy. (I've got a few 'saves' under my belt. I also have a failure or two.)

You haven't lived until you've spent a night with the Homeless. Then and only then can you truly begin to count your blessings and realize what a precious gift life is.

The best lessons are the ones that are the most costly. Or the ones that hurt the most.

Always look for the subtle signs. If you do, you may be blessed enough to spot and recognize a miracle.

An intellectual gift has a tremendous responsibility attached to it. You must always be prepared to help others.
    More than likely they are not on your level. If you help them and sheppard them, they will show their gratitude by passing the knowledge on. If they do that, your gift to them will live on forever.

There are many more. Suffice it to say, I learned more on my Sabbaticals than on the job. Let's just say that the lessons learned have served me better than all the money I earned, and all the intellectual triumphs that I've been a part of.

Please keep the last part of what I said in mind (About the Intellectual gift). We're all sharing our thoughts and experiences with one another.

Peace.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    So Gorski, How did that search on the HUD and congressional records websites go ?

( rhetorical question as I can see what you were doing all day )

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No, JFK, you have no idea... My autistic son needs a school, and I am wrecking my brains over that and other needs he and his brother have....

A few posts I write here are not taking a lot of my time, and they are usually done during the breaks I take, inbetween stuff I have to do, sometimes important, sometimes silly, everyday stuff...

5. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  6. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #386 Michaela Joy, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    @gorski: I wish you godspeed in finding a school for your son. Autism is a difficult scenario to deal with.

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    This is how you do it, baby....

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/from-drain-the-swamp-to-government-sachs

[h=1]FROM “DRAIN THE SWAMP” TO GOVERNMENT SACHS[/h]
    Bernie:

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Autism is not an illness

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #390 JFKI, Mar 7, 2017
    @ dhjohns
    So much for your workforce theory.

Stats from 2015.
    From https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2015/table8

Characteristic Total Female Male Unknown
    Total Immigrants 1,051,031 569,536 481,485 10
    No occupation/not working outside home 456,532 294,818 161,710 4
    Retirees 11,486 6,625 4,861 -
    Unemployed 53,919 31,419 22,500 -
    Students or children 251,660 123,675 127,982 3
    NOT contributing to workforce 773,597 or 73.6% 456,537 or 80.1% 317,053 or 65.8% 7 or 70%

How did these people survive ?
    Who was president in 2015 ? ;)

Edit to add: The above numbers assume that the ones they have lost track of are gainfully employed, which is a total of another 348,197 people.

11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Fix link. The one you gave does not match the chart.

12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #392 JFKI, Mar 7, 2017
    Go to link and scroll to bottom.
    The full table is there.

Edit to add: or better still, go to catalog.data.gov and do your own year by year demographic study. Be sure to report back with your findings. ;)

13. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    WTF MJ? I have two Autistic children, each on the opposite ends of the "spectrum". I consider what they have a gift..surely not an illness! :hug2:

@gorski: My son went from not talking to excelling in Science and Social Studies in a matter of three years, by finding a school who has an autistic support class and slowly introducing them to "normal" classes. Good luck in your search friend.

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hello and thanks to all of you with good wishes and support!

Yes, autism is a very difficult one and it is all about recognition (in time) and then support as needed! But the "austerity" means cuts (not for the rich, just for 'ordinary' folk"), especially in education (here, in the UK, a third of the budget is now gone!:mad:)...

MJ meant well, I am sure, she simply isn't familiar with it, the way we are, since we (sadly) have first hand experience... It's a neuro-developmental disorder that has recently been given a boost. Researchers found out how to recognise it before age 1, using brain scans. Specific brain structure of kids with autism can be already recognised with 80% accuracy early and that is the key to action, when the brain is still easier to shape.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38955872

It is characterized by a combinations of tens of various symptoms and dysfunctions, like self-stimulation, easy to happen sensory overload, impulses which can't be controlled (from touching others onwards), to rigidity of thinking and behaviour, impaired social interaction, especially if one has linguistic issues (and they are common), repetitive behaviour, sometimes obsessive-compulsive (which can be their strength, if they find something they excel in, for instance), defiance disorder (it can be really tough on all of us, when that kicks in) and so on and so forth...

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh...... It depends on many things if one can see it as a gift or if they really are impaired... Let's hope my son progresses the way leebo_28's son did (BRAVO FOR HIM!!!). Nothing would make me happier than that, nothing could compare - I could die peacefully, then... :( :( :(

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009

There's lies, damn lies and then there's - statistics...

These have to be interpreted and as we know, there will always be a possibility to see things very differently, especially when they are complex.

I bet, for instance, majority of students must work a lot, for next to nothing, to pay for their tuition fees.

I bet senior citizens can and do work, in various areas they can work even at advanced age. And many of them must, as their pensions are pitiful.

Some children do work, since they have no choice, as we all know.

People with no occupation still work, frequently the nastiest jobs no one else wants to do. And they get unbelievably low pay for it. So, some have 3 jobs to get by.

Some do work at home, whatever it may be, making cakes or dresses or nursing old and infirm people, taking care of other people's kids or their own....

So, I would urge caution with "statistics", in many ways! Especially regarding "black market" and how it operates - all the way to prostitution...

Destitute people can easily be manipulated or even forced into nasty stuff by nasty, manipulative, sociopathic people in better situation than their victims....

And that is on top of whatever immigrants are generally ready to endure, from the moment they decide to leave everything behind and risk it all...

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #396 Michaela Joy, Mar 7, 2017
    @All: Please forgive my ignorance about Autism. I know very little about it.
    And yes. I meant well. That's what happens when you don't understand the situation, but you try to apply some form of compassion.

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

EDIT: I changed the wording of my original post so as not to offend anyone.

17. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #397 JFKI, Mar 7, 2017
    OK. The burden of proof now lies with you.

Good luck.

Edit to add: You may want to research this http://www.dailywire.com/news/10934/texas-legislator-introduces-bill-stop-illegal-frank-camp

I await your results. :)

In the mean time, Hi ho, hi ho. It's off to work I go. :rolleyes:

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    There is no burden of proof on me, JFK - it's on people who are trying to use statistics without using their brain a little. So, good luck with that!

No worries, MJ, no "road to Hell" in your post, I know that! :)

19. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    After failing to convince the courts, President Trump now signed a revised version of his controversial executive order on immigration, excluding Iraq from the list of certain predominantly-Muslim countries whose citizens face bans.

What puzzles me is how is he going to convince the courts by just excluding Iraq from the list. Was that the only problem?

Anyway, he deserves full marks for perseverance and keeping his promises, which means he'll also go ahead with the wall.

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think Trump is going to let those in with green cards and visa's now too, so that might keep the courts happy