Do you think a wall on the border with Mexico can stop the immigrants?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will the wall be effective against illegal immigrants?

1. Yes, the wall will be largely effective

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. It will only have a small effect not worth the cost

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. No, it will be a monumental failure

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No, it was way more than that and not just in terms of stopping "bad hombres"...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: That was and still is, the purpose of the wall. And it's not meant to smite Mexicans. Granted, some drugs come from Mexico (weed comes to mind, but there are others.)
    But most mules are from South America, running coke. And that's usually gang / cartel related.

Do I have to tell you how much money, -UNTRACEABLE- money comes in when a shipment of pot or cocaine clears the border and gets sold in the US?

Oh, this example shows how long talk of construction of a wall between Mexico and the USA has been going on, and it should clearly demonstrate that Trump did -NOT- start this. (MSM pinheads...)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...od-up-to-reagan-it-can-stand-up-to-trump-too/

If Mexico refuses to lift a finger to keep drugs from being smuggled across their northern borders, then we have to make it all but impossible for anyone to get in. Just to keep out the people who make it past the Mexican Authorities.

If stray dogs are making it past your neighbors' fence and digging up your begonias because he refuses to fix it, then you have to install a better fence.

Does that make sense?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, shame we can't read the texts themselves, but only "second hand accounts" of the texts discussed and no arguments against such thesis whatsoever, and we still do not see in those texts about the "questionable texts" where is the "definitive proof" this was not so, on the ground, in reality of "conquest and colonisation", from genocide onwards...

Nice but - rather transparent...

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    MJ, if only US Gov didn't do it themselves and for a reason...

Moreover, now that some weed is allowed in some states...

Then, even if it is going to get harder - the demand is still going to be there and then there will be suppliers, one way or another...

I don't think this will stop with the wall - it will go sideways, for as long as the root for it exists...

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Yup. And when know how it's done (for whatever reason), I guess you'd want to keep it from being done to you and yours.

Some states have legalized it, so, yeah. I guess their investment is being protected.

That would be greed and craving possessions and power. I agree. But, apart from crashing society and starting over again, I see no solution.

6. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I think an extended border wall will have little effect on drug trafficking. There's only so much a guy can haul on his back in desert areas. The large quantities are smuggled in vehicles through legal border crossings. There's also transport via air, boat and tunnels. Undocumented immigration will go down however.

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #447 JFKI, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
  9. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  10. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I agree, but the "problem" is that there's a large demand for illegal marijuana consumption in the US.

In AZ, pot is legal for medical purposes only. If it was available to everybody legally for recreational purposes and reasonably priced, that would eliminate the problem.

Even in Colorado, where anybody can buy it, there still is a large black market for pot since the legal stuff is so expensive.

I don't even smoke pot, but I think there'd be many benefits in legalizing it everywhere.

11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    That is the understatement of the year.

Have not looked into the specifics, but every state which borders my state have passed laws on legalizing pot in one form or another. That is currently in legislation here also.

Don't know about prices... At all. Supply seems to be high here though.

I don't because my job is worth more, but I admit if I could without repercussions I would.
    I do agree that there are many benefits, however a few react adversely and it is those few who will eventually "ruin" it for everyone else, in my opinion.

12. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    My comment about the black market in Colorado was based on a news report I saw where a "drug dealer" in CO (whose identity was obscured) was asked about how his business was affected by the passing of the pot-friendly laws.

This was on the one or two year anniversary of the laws being enacted. He said demand for his stuff had not decreased since the legal stuff was expensive and also that more people were now interested in using it.

I have a friend who's bought in CO and he didn't seem to complain much about prices- he was just happy it was all legal. Pot tourism is probably a big money maker for CO (and the other states where's it legal), just like it is for Amsterdam.

Regarding the few who might react adversely to legal pot- yes, some people wll have problems, but a bigger number of people have had problems with alcohol. Pot laws will need fine-tuning over time.

We know what happened when alcohol was made illegal in the US back during Prohibition. I look at the prohibition on pot as the same situation- just legalize it, make money off the taxes, keep people out of jail and hopefully cut down on the black market.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #454 Michaela Joy, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Does anybody think that Trump might have watched this?

Maybe this is Trump's 'Bif F**kin Thing'. :D

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Mr X, you are a pure masochist! :eek: "Debate"?:confused: What debate?:rolleyes: R u nuts? :D

Sorry, me not very good with xenophobes. racists, superiority complex ridden people etc. No hugs, thanx...:rolleyes:

Any babes around? :p

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :clap:

:eek:

[​IMG]

:tasty:

If I was her you wouldn't say no, would you?

17. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
  18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Mr X - the very thought of nasty politics/principles really puts me off, sorry to disappoint... Look at the Croatian president, boobs, blonde, waist line and all:rolleyes: but when she speaks I shudder...:eek: Ergghhh...:biggrin:

19. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Back on topic from the admittedly more appealing discussion of babes, the wall project seems to have been shelved for he time being due to lack of funds. Congress has struck a budget deal to avert a government shutdown, but it allocates no cash for President Donald Trump's proposed US-Mexico border wall.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39767844

Could this be a tactical excuse for Trump to pull out of a major pre-election promise?-

20. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Contractors Begin Building Prototypes For Trump's Border Wall

Contractors Begin Building Prototypes For Trump's Border Wall
    September 26, 20175:55 PM ET
    Colin Dwyer

Twitter
    [​IMG]

A Border Patrol vehicle rides beside an already existing portion of the wall along the U.S.-Mexico border south of San Diego.

Sandy Huffaker/Getty Images
    After months of competition and preparation, contractors broke ground Tuesday on eight prototypes for President Trump's long-promised border wall. U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced that the companies would have about 30 days to complete construction on their prototypes in San Diego.

"We are committed to securing our border and that includes constructing border walls," CBP's acting deputy commissioner, Ronald Vitiello, said in a statement Tuesday.

"Our multi-pronged strategy to ensure the safety and security of the American people includes barriers, infrastructure, technology and people. Moving forward with the prototype enables us to continue to incorporate all the tools necessary to secure our border."

Construction on 8 wall prototypes began today in San Diego. The prototypes are designed to deter illegal border crossings. (1/2) pic.twitter.com/WB1rIojgLj

— CBP (@CustomsBorder) September 26, 2017
    Six contractors from across the country have been selected to build the eight prototypes, half of which will be constructed of concrete and the other half of "other materials." The walls are to range between 18 and 30 feet high and succeed in one prevailing goal: "deter illegal crossings in the area in which they are constructed."

Once built, they will undergo testing by the Department of Homeland Security.

[​IMG]
    The Two-Way
    Trump Administration Selects Contractors For Border Wall Prototypes

[​IMG]
    The Two-Way
    PHOTOS: The Many Possible Shapes Of Trump's Border Wall

And all the while, officials are preparing for a fair share of protests against the controversial project. The Los Angeles Times reports that miles of fencing have been put up in San Diego's Otay Mesa region — a "checkerboard of public and private land ownership" where the prototypes are to be built — and no-parking zones will be in effect through Nov. 10.

The free speech area designated for potential protesters is a "dusty, unshaded, weed-choked lot overlooking Otay Mesa and more than 1.5 miles away from construction," according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.

That said, the paper reports there appeared to be no protesters around as construction kicked off Tuesday, and at least one local activist expressed skepticism the project was even worth protesting at the moment.

"It's just political theater," Hiram Soto, spokesman for Alliance San Diego, told the Times. "There is no funding for it in Congress."

[​IMG]
    The Two-Way
    As Boy Peers Curiously Over Border Wall, His Artist Asks: 'What Is He Thinking?'

Trump relented earlier this month on a threat to shut down the federal government if lawmakers failed to approve funds for the wall, striking a deal with Democrats to delay multiple fiscal deadlines with no strings attached. He has also appeared to acknowledge he won't require border wall funding to be part of a possible deal to save the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA.

On the campaign trail and early in his administration, Trump had said repeatedly that Mexico would pay for the wall's construction — a proposition that has also been repeatedly rejected by Mexican leaders.

Estimates for the cost of the border wall have ranged up to $38 billion. The Department of Homeland Security plans to pay for the construction of the prototypes, which cost up to $500,000 each, with funds reallocated internally from other programs.