Docsis 3.0 with MoCA Ethernet to Coax Bridges

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ZadesLegacy, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ZadesLegacy

ZadesLegacy MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2017
    Hello, I didn't know where to put this thread so I threw it here. I have a question for someone knowledgeable on the subject.

Background Info:

Currently I have Verizon Fios and I have activated the ONT's Ethernet port and wired that directly into my own router for internet access. From there I have my router hooked up from its LAN port to the LAN port of an ACTIONTEC MI424-WR REV D that I bought from eBay and set it to bridge its LAN ports and coax port. I then connected its coax port to the coax outlet. This allowed me to effectively turn all the coax lines in my house into Ethernet lines without having to run wires. All I have to do to wire in another device is take another one of those Actiontec Verizon gateways, bridge its LAN ports and coax port, connect it to a coax outlet and BOOM a 20 dollar coax to Ethernet bridge and it works phenomenally. All my devices are picked up by the router as if they where wired directly in and there is virtually no performance hit bellow 100mbps.

Now for the question... I'm planning to switch from Verizon to Optimum, as I have found a better price. Here's the problem. Optimum uses a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem which requires a coax connection. As I understand it, the Verizon routers I have repurposed as cheap Ethernet to coax bridges are MoCA devices. If I connect the DOCSIS modem to my router, then my router to my Actiontec bridge, then using a coax spliter plug that same actiontec bridge into the same coax port as the docsis modem, will this work to keep my coax ethenet? I am not familiar with the differences between DOCSIS and MoCA, or if they will even be a problem.

To sum up my question: Will my current hackjob Verizon Moca ethernet to coax bridge boxes still work once I switch to DOCSIS 3.0 Coax based Optimum?

I know its a lengthy question, but information on this internet is hard to find as many people don't know this is even possible (not even the Verizon technician that came to my house). Any help is appreciated, thank you.