Does account password protect my user files?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rr0, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I'm just curious.

I have on my pc only one account, password and pin protected. No fingerprint, TPM, BitLocker etc...

Does it protect my files, only MY as in C:\Users\Kuba, from unauthorised access?

I don't mean like police, NSA etc... but would someone "geeky" be able to access my files?

Many thanks in advance!

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    The simple answer is that your password will not protect any files on your computer. The only thing it does is that your mother or Your 5-year-old sister or brother does not get to your files.
    Anyone who is a little aware of how the computer works and how to see the contents of your computer can do it completely freely. This requires a little bit of knowledge and two or three minutes of time and all your computer-protected content is public.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Its' just about impossible to make any file perfectly secure short of isolating your computer from a network and storing it in a safe. Even then it's not perfectly secure. Generally you have to consider attack vectors. In other words, what way are you most concerned with access.

Encryption works for files that may get leaked over network connections through malicious software, but it is not very secure if someone actually steals your computer (or hard drive) since the encryption key is present and installed. Login passwords don't stop someone with physical access to your computer simply booting up from USB and accessing files.

Security is a complicated consideration, it gives me a headache sometimes. In my case I have a small number of files with sensitive data and I do my best to secure those particular files rather than the whole computer.