Does Acer Aspire 1680 / Travelmate 4000 BIOS have hidden menus?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by johnye_pt, Sep 5, 2011.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #1 johnye_pt, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Hi. I'm trying to find out if Acer Aspire 1680 / Travelmate 4000 Phoenix BIOS has hidden menus, but i have no clue where to start. I'm new to BIOS modding, i have just successfully added SLIC 2.1 to my custom BIOS (with battery and 48-bit LBA mods) for my laptop, posted at forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/482627 (sorry, can't post direct links yet). I have no problem in trying any mods you can think of, because i have ACER crisis disk and USB floppy drive.

Reason: all 3 USB ports of my friend's computer (same model as mine) don't work, he gets BSOD when anything is inserted. It's a real hardware problem, check tomshardware.co.uk/forum/187316-10-problem-ports-acer-travelmate-4000-laptop, and from Hellboy's experience its a bad mofset. I got him a PCMCIA/USB2 adapter, it also gives him BSOD with mouses, printers, gamepads, but not with drives (low amperage?).

I'm hopping there may be a hidden USB menu in BIOS that can be unhidden, so i can disable the USB ports from BIOS and hope that's enough to disable USB voltage, so at least a mouse can be connected to the PCMCIA/USB2 adapter without a BSOD...

2. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    According to a good BIOS modder in another forum, there are actually hidden menus but they don't link anywhere, the only things that can be unhidden are thermal options and IDE options that i don't need, so consider this request (kind of) solved.

3. Kikoo

Kikoo MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Which one?

4. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    AHMED HOSSAM at bios-mods.com/forum/Forum-Phoenix-Unlocking-Requests, seems to know his way around Phoenix BIOSes ;)