Does Kingston's reasoning behind my slow write speed performance make sense?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ian82, Apr 26, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I bought a Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 480 GB

I feel my OS is snappy just as it should on an SSD but in my Benchmarks on CrystalDisk Mark and AS SSD Benchmark, I got 500 MB/S read which is good and 170 MB/S write only

Now the advertised speed of the SSD on the box says 540 MB/S Read and 450 MB/S write

So as we can see here, my write speeds are in no way near what is advertised.

I then upgraded the firmware from the original firmware 501 to 503 and that made my write speeds double from 170 to 316 MB/S which is better, but still no where close to the advertised speed.

Upon contacting them, they advised me to run the ATTO Disk Benchmark and then I got 530 MB/S read and 450 MB/S write as advertised; reason being, is that the ATTO Disk Benchmark they say uses compression in the benchmarks which is where this drive excels and the other benchmarks such as CrystalDisk Mark and AS SSD Benchmark don't use compression.

That is all well and good but my question is, in my real world usage, does Windows or any other program for that matter use compression? I mean, how does their 450 MB/S write speed in compression mode work in real life? or is it just a benchmark gimmick because when copying files from the SSD onto itself, example:

I try to copy a 16 GB movie from D: (which the 2nd partition in this SSD) onto another location in D:

The write speed I see in Windows goes from 420 MB/S at first, drops to 370 MB/S within 2 seconds, then keeps dropping gradually all the way until it reaches a stable 135 MB/S

This sound very crappy to me and I think that compression in ATTO Disk Benchmarks is just a gimmick because who uses compression??

Hope someone can shed some light on the above

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NTX

NTX Guest

If you want an answer to that, I don't know if you can, maybe not.
    But that's bad luck for you, and it has nothing to do with the fact that they did and can use ATTO Disk Benchmark.
    I'm not saying that it's a nice way of selling something.

My point is that you bought this SSD, you could have bought a different one, but you didn't.

4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    To put an ad on the box claiming a certain speed with ATTO Benchmark, but in reality that is just because of compression is a marketing cheap way of tricking people.

this is my first and last Kingston Drive

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012