Does Microsoft provide free downloadable ISOs for Windows 10 Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by riahc3, Sep 12, 2015.

1. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #41 PaulDesmond, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

honestly I have no words for your post at all. Simply tell me where a copy and paste text might be altered on its way to an individual? Come on :p

When making the torrents > Magnets out of the original MSDN iso, the result of it matches exactly with the text file from the copy/paste text off MSDN page.
    Here I have no extra tin foil on my head :D

2. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    I'm not saying it actually is. But that's why we have cryptographic checksums in the first place: to have certainty. Brushing concerns aside with ridicule doesn't reinforce trust either.

The OP actually asked for that certainty so "trust me, I copied these checksums from Microsoft" is not a valid answer this time. Sorry.

I never actually understood why people post all sorts of MSDN downloads here and then post the checksums directly instead of linking to the readily available checksums at MSDN. Why insist on people having to trust you when you can directly point them to the MSDN? And that's not directed at you Paul, it's everyone who ever posted a magnet together with checksums without an MSDN link.

Why argue with "trust me, and you're a fool if you don't" instead of "trust me, and here is your MSDN link to verify"?

When people are requesting another source of verification, it doesn't mean they don't trust you. They just want... another source of verification. It's not rocket science.

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    That's a very valid point. Posting a checksum with a DL doesn't make any sense, but I guess a lot of people don't realize they can post anything and if they don't check the number from the original source, they can be checking a fake.

I guess that's why people who use the simplest method and safest, get the DL from MS and just update it to Enterprise because it's smart & easy.

4. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    I agree with TCM. Its not a issue of trust because you have been here since 2009 and have over 7000 posts, its just a issue of making sure that the ISO was transferred correctly to me and that it is the same one Microsoft provides.

5. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    #45 Fckr, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    fastest, too.

Just get a MS/Live/Technet/whatever account to verify those checksums.

6. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    You don't need any account to view checksums on Microsoft's site.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Can you post a link to the pages to see it for pro and enterprise, TY.

8. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    #48 Fckr, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Gee, aren't you guys making too much of a fuss about it? 95% of the posts are off-topic at this point and the OP question has long been answered. And if guys don't have trust in Paul I don't know what. You can go to MSDN to cross check the hashes, but why waste your time? Copy and pasting this information is kind of a service for YOU, I mean, he could just as well put a link there and say "go crawl through the MSDN download section and get that info yourself".

I don't see any point in continuing this thread. But that's just my two cents.

10. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I have already given the OP the safest, fastest way, but they have chosen to confer with Paul, then question the checksum, which has opened up another topic here. All kind of funny to see someone waste more time than needed and then follow the long trail that seems to never end.

But you're are correct, so I guess we should just let Paul wait for the next question from the OP.

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    There will not be any more answers on this stupid thread from my end. I have provided all isos and all original data from MSDN, Period

12. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    No one EVER said anything like that.

I won't go into details yet again, but it's clear a lot of people have no clue whatsoever what "trust" in technological terms even means.

13. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    It's certainly the disease of today's society that it's obviously not enough anymore to have trust in a person. Not even in the trustworthy ones. You seem to need technical proof and evidence everywhere. Really sad. But let's not make an argument out of it because it'll end up in a political discussion.

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... it will not end in a political discussion because I will not let it run so far. Guess where it will end again .... take a wild guess. I am not your idiot who gets called a NAZI, a NSA spy or someone who sleeps with the admins to get special treatment ... think about very clearly now what you clowns talk about now. Again it it is very close to midnight but this midnight will be the last one with PD on MDL. I'm fed with all that paranoia ...
    THINK NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE :eek:

15. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    #55 TCM, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    You're still completely missing the point. No one said anything about trust in a person, because what you see on your screen is not a person, now is it? Last time I checked, what I see on my screen is text that has been written by a person, transmitted via their ISP, transmitted via a varying number of other ISPs and the forum server and finally, transmitted via my ISP to my computer - and in the case of this forum, all in cleartext.

It would be the easiest thing in the world for an adversary that sits between you and mdl.org to change just the magnet link and the hash in the post to get you to download and (falsely) verify a trojaned Windows ISO. Heck, what about the forum itself? No software is bulletproof. Forum break-ins are certainly not fiction. Make it sneaky and just change every download you can find in every post with trojaned versions.

Does all of that mean Paul betrayed you and is not trustworthy as a person? Of course not.

Before you indulge in philosophical drivel about society's diseases, you have to understand that trust in a person is and always has been completely meaningless in the context of the global Internet, UNLESS you do real authentication with strong crypto. Before you can even bring trust in a person into the picture, you have to make sure that you are actually dealing with the correct person over thousands of kilometers and through the hands of multiple unknown third parties. The Internet is anarchy, always has been, always will be. Those who don't understand the technology are bound to get burned sooner or later.

And in case you have been living under a rock the past 2 years, we had this little incident with the NSA and all that, so the ominous global adversary is not just something from the IT security textbooks.

Edit: And Paul, as I said over and over again, no one said anything against you. mdl.org is a global forum and connects people from all over the planet. We only have technology to connect us and we have to understand the pros and cons of that technology so everyone can be safe.

16. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
  17. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #57 sevenacids, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    "Reports of my death a middleman changing magnets and hashes on MDL have been greatly exaggerated". Sorry, but don't you think your concerns are a little too exaggerated? Even with the NSA incident in mind? Gosh, and I thought _I_ was paranoid...

PS: And how do you trust in MSDN then? If it's so easy to spoof...