Does Slic 2.1 contains Slic 1.0?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by albsat, Sep 10, 2009.

1. albsat

albsat MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Hello

If a motherboard has a Slic 2.1 bios, does it corporates a Slic 1.0 too? sorry if my question is stupid.

thnx

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Depends.

If it came from the factory as SLIC 2.1, no.

If it was modded using the available tools, it's possible the modder also ticked the "SLP 1.0" box.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. albsat

albsat MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    How do I check if I have a slic 1.0 in bios using vista x64?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    search forum for oembios.exe and run that it will let you if you have slp in bios

5. albsat

albsat MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    thnx Urie. I have tried it yesterday but it doesn't run on win vista x64. it is not compatible i think as it is 16 bit.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    This is incorrect..Most factory bios with factory SLIC 2.0 have an SLP 1.0 string also.

Very few bios come with SLIC 2.1 as of late..maybe this fall..

You need to understand the separation and differences though..two different technologies..

@albsat:
    You can use the OEMBIOS.exe tool for the most part, it gets most of them, or you can put a link to the bios and ask someone to check it..

If it came with an OEM, it likely has at LEAST SLP1.0

This tool does not work in 64 bit...sorry.

We can always add one, either manually, with the DMI cd, or with the tool.

When you get into which OEM to add, it can get tricky. All SLP are not valid in all bios offsets. Some have very strict addresses and cannot be inserted into bios due to existing code. The tool inserts the SLP into very small area of bios (always open and writable)..you need to be sure the SLP is valid there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #8 911medic, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  8. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I know this is an old topic, but I had the same question.

I'm running 64bit OSes, so I to had the same problem with using Oembios.exe to find out if my Bios with Slic 2.0 had a 1.0 as well. "Which it does have both". HP Model A6604f - Asus M2N68-LA - Narra3-GL8E -
    BIOS VendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD
    BIOS Version5.14
    BIOS Date06/20/2008
    BIOS Size1024 KB

Quick work around: Download oembios.exe and place it in a folder you will remember, then Grab yourself a copy of Hiren's Bootcd 10.0 if you don't have it already. Then when you Boot the cd , select from the run window the "Mini Windows Xp" option.

Once windows loads from the CD, navigate to the folder where you stored the oembios.exe, right click the folder and choose "Command prompt here" option.

Last, type in oembios at the command prompt.

You don't have to use Xp, any boot cd that gives you Dos and the access you need to your file system type, Fat, Ntfs...or whatever. I only used Hiren's because it's what I have, and it boots every time off the many different Hardware configs I have..

Hope this is useful to someone... :)