Does windows 8.1 feel buggy as hell to everyone?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Sorry - not you - I was referring to cracked.com, which is not where one would expect to find such thoughtful commentary.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I know you were referring to Cracked. I thought all along that their articles were somewhat reliable... no?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I am on win 8 after finding win 8.1 being bad with external devices. More drastically I might even consider win 7. Why win 7: In win 8, I get irritating notifications every day to upgrade to 8.1.

I really feel apprehensive that if this is win 8.1, then perhaps 9 may be worse and my relation with MS might not survive long. I have 2 years on win 8, 4-5 years on win 7. However, win 7 will get long in the tooth in 2015.

4. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Haha, that was never a problem for me since my install of Windows 8 wasn't eligible for upgrade to 8.1 (I installed it myself though)

But I see what you mean. Notifications for unwanted updates can be annoying as hell.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    How was it. Win 8 enterprise??. Tell me the secret as I want to get rid of this stupid notification to go to win 8.1. The point is that I have legal key and also iso for win 8.1 and I will upgrade when I want to and not be reminded by MS. I have tried disabling all notifications and also unticking many boxes in windows update but to no avail.

6. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Convert to VL *cough cough MTK cough cough* and it won't nag you. Enter the legit key when you change your mind about upgrading.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Why bother about converting win 8 pro to vl and go that way. If I have to activate without key, why not use win 8 enterprise and use MTK.
    I am thinking about that. I have read that win 8 enterprise customers will not get notifications. Perhaps sit with win 8 enterprise for a few months and then see if win 8.1 has got less buggy or drivers are there.
    Thanks anyway.

8. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Actually, anyone not using retail will get a notification if I've understood this article correctly.

h t t p:// windows. microsoft. com/ en-us/ windows-8/why - can - t - find - update - store #

It took me some frantic searching on the 17th to realise that my VL-activated Win8 Pro was ineligible.
    But yes, you're right- even Enterprise users aren't eligible (like that matters when we have greats like the ones here!) So go ahead with Enterprise, no nags :D

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    The relevant point is that I have a technet win 8 pro with MAK key. Can I convert that iso to VL, and then use my MAK key. Although I do not think so, but if I could, I will have a key based activation and no notifications.

There must be some registry based command to disable notifications for even eligible to upgrade editions. I am not able to find that on google.

10. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    That article clearly states (and I know from my present install) that MAK-activated installs aren't eligible. Weird. But once you use MTK, why would you need the key again (unless you want to return to a legit activation to upgrade)?
    My point is, use the key when you decide to upgrade, but otherwise it doesn't really matter much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

11. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    BF3 is running fine / better than under Windows-7 / 8. More fps, smoother game-play.

:)

12. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  13. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Ah. That makes sense :kick:But yeah, if you're really desperate enough to stop the nagging, I guess your simplest option would be to go the MTK way.

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #34 acyuta, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Read somewhere recently that MS fired the wrong Steve in 2012. They got the right Steve this time. So one Steve fired in 2012, one Steve told to move it in 2013-4. Now another Steve (Step. Elop) is in the line to move up in MS and then maybe move out.

Ballmer did great things but I guess age has caught up as it does for everyone. That has made him rigid and senile. Even Henry Ford went through the same.

I find win 8 perfect for my hardware. Every piece of hardware works out of the box. Strictly speaking, except for esata ASM drivers I really do not need to install any drivers though I do install some. Win 7 is old now and win 8.1 is buggy for me. So win 8 for me.

15. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    M$ is becoming the Goliath. They had it big earlier. While 8 wasn't totally useless, it definitely didn't live up to the benchmark set by 7 (by almost any standard, probably their magnum opus) and hence arrived to widespread dislike.

That said, I must say I personally do like 8.x (bar a few annoyances) but still feel M$ aren't going the right way. With the present trend, they'll probably need Steve Jobs to return from heaven (or hell, wherever he is, I dunno) and resurrect them. Wake up, M$. Remember most of us still think of a tablet as a pill!

16. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I know that MS will stop sending updates for win 8 in 2 years (Oct 2015). Then people will have to upgrade to 8.1 to get supported.

What about win 8 enterprise. That is an enterprise product and will they stop updating it too in Oct 2015.

Win 7 has a longer support period into the future than win 8.

17. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Win 8.1 WMC running perfectly here haven't noticed any buggyness so far

18. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I found some problem running win8.1, nothing of bad or to change experience of use.
    1. In a drive win8.1 advise me to check it for errors, but always no errors found.
    2. In laptop sometimes the fast boot hang in booting the computer, if disable fast boot no problems.
    3. Sometimes defrag utils gui not work, no problem with cmd line.
    4. Others very little issue useless to report.
    The system is fast, smooth and new IE11 run very fast.
    The new "metro" start is much better of older.

19. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Well, tbh, support isn't really one of the reasons I would use an OS. If it runs the programs I use most often, if it can open every file I need to use, it'll do. Hell, I would even use XP if I wasn't so used to the shortcuts in 7. I moved to 8 just to try it out, and I liked it, so 8 it is.

Unless you're a rigorous tester/experimenter whose life depends on finding bugs, you're highly unlikely to find any.

Like you said, they're only minor annoyances. But since I never shut down (my desktop is either in use or in sleep :p ) I don't know why you have the problem with fast boot. But I doubt if it's something a search can't fix.

20. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010