Does windows 8.1 feel buggy as hell to everyone?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    #41 Puffingmad, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Yes luckily I do have life away from my PC :D and if you look at the topic of the thread NO it dose not feel buggy to me

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aruak

aruak MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2013
    I think they removed it to use less power, improving the battery usage.

4. wtfjajaja

wtfjajaja MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    the only thing that bothers me, anyone?

Attached Files:

5. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    One of those things you notice only when pointed out.

God, now that IS annoying, and I can't unsee it. :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    We all know that Win8.x wasn't the big upgrade that Win7 was over the predecessor OS, but I'm still tired of the hate posts.
    How would you make an OS after making the awesome Windows 7? Would you simply try to make Windows 7.1?
    Or you would perhaps call it Windows 7.2 since there's already sp1?

To what end will people not cease this fantasy that nobody wants to use any modern UI apps.
    The truth is that most of the less sophisticated people actually do use them.
    They use them a lot. Most of those people cannot type, and thus see the whole keyboard thing as pointless since they have the technology to make touchscreens well enough now.

I have family members like this, and so do you. The truth is that people like us, who know how to use computers and type, are in the minority.
    Microsoft would go out of business if they didn't try to cater to the vast majority of people on the planet who know hardly anything and cannot type.
    I share the dislike of the modern UI apps, just like most of you do.

The problem is that I understand that you are not required to use them. The actual core of the Win8.x OS is vasty superior to the Win7 core.
    If you have old hardware, you'd never know of the increase in performance. But if you have gotten a newer cpu and fast ram recently, you'll know
    just as I do that Win8.x is much faster than Windows 7 since it has multi-threaded most of the operations. It is still limited by the programming
    of the companies that develop software to take advantage of multi-threading techniques, but it's not MS's fault that they don't.

So kindly stow it. It was inevitable.
    You don't have to use the modern UI.
    You can use keyboard shortcuts and taskbar settings and never even see the damn thing if you don't want to.

my 2cp

7. nitins60

nitins60 MDL Junior Member

Apr 9, 2010
    +1 :smokecowboy:

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    google after "fxvisor", install it and get rid of the arrows (don't let you fool when it says its for Vista! It works on W8 and 8.1 as well)

9. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Is very strange problem because not happen always, the percentage is about 50%.
    Suppose not full support in a component of laptop (Dell 1749), hope fix in next rollup release ;)

10. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    @Murphy78
    100% with you on this I also have family members who don't have any technical level regarding computers but have managed to find there way round win8 and 8.1 with next to no coaching from me or anyone else
    Like you I don't use the metro side much at all the desktop environment works perfectly
    Its a shame that some PPL don't like change and feel they have to pick at any point they can
    For me progress is progress and making an OS more accessible to all is a good move.

11. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Truer words were never said. You, sir, have my respect.:smokecowboy:

12. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Windows 8.1 is quite good, but the integration between Metro and Classic Desktop is still very poor.

Case in point: In Windows 8 you could right-click on the Metro "networks" screen and easily select the Properties of a VPN connection. It would automatically launch its properties in a window in classical desktop.

But now, in Windows 8.1 you can no longer right-click in the "networks screen". It doesn't register any mouse click. :(

I just hope that Microsoft will finally see that it's close to impossible to properly integrate Metro and Classic Desktop. The only sane solution would be to allow keyboard and mouse users to COMPLETELY disable Metro.

I don't want to see any Metro screen when I'm using a keyboard and mouse.

Metro is really good for people who are using touchscreens, but it's very poor for the rest of us

13. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    You do have a point. Integrating Desktop and Metro is not happening. Granted, allowing disabling as an option is a good idea, but you do realise this goes against all their plans of perpetuating Metro.

They want Metro. Some users want classic desktop. They decide, "Ah, f**k it, you take it or leave it" and give you metro.
    You can either grin and bear it (it's surprising how soon one can learn to effortlessly switch between the two) or flip them off, use 7 and thumb your nose at Metro.

Bottom line: You have the choice. Like metro? Use 8.x. Hate metro? Go ahead, throw it out and use 7 instead.

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I highly doubt MS will move towards a classic desktop only for Keyboard & Mouse users, if anything they are trying to fade the Desktop out and become completely Metro

The Desktop is more of an App than the OS now, if you check you will see that you can grab and close the Classic desktop like an app now, but you can not do that with the Metro UI start screen

That should give you an idea of what they think of classic desktop

15. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    "Classic desktop, my a$$. Metro or nothing, beeyotch!"

-some M$ design head (probably) :D

16. testooo

testooo MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't know if this a bug or not ... I tried to download app from MS store and it asked me for MS account so I put my details and here we go I am in but I need to switch my account from Local to MS so I did but after I finished downloading the app I want to disconnect MS account and back to Local one, so I did but when I restart the computer I could login to my Local account without a password it seems windows removed it. is this normal ?

17. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    The 8.1 GA patch is quite buggy on my clovertrail tablets. Display driver crashes each time it is woken up from sleep, which with a tablet is often. There is a long delay from the time you press the power button and the time it actually wakes up now because the driver has to restart. I rolled back both of my tablets to before the GA update and blocked it from windows updates which fixed the problem. Of course everyone who actually upgraded from the store instead of iso won't be able to do this as the update is baked in! Hopefully they come out with a fix soon.

18. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Did you create a password for the local account first?

19. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    piece of crap is even more buggy than 8. A bunch of necessary programs to me, either simply not work or hangs when you run it, even with the so called "compatibility mode". Oh, yea, any fanboy would blame the developer, to not to make an "upgrade" to the "new" (note the quotes) platform. The way the kernel was f**ked from 7 never stop to amazing me. Not even the worse SP in vista is like this piece of crap. And worse, with the breath of the NSA in our necks, just because the deal that made m$ with the government. If they spy Angela Merkel, what in the hell would do with us.
    Oh yea, this is (de)evolution...

20. testooo

testooo MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    yes a password was set up from the start of windows installation