Does windows 8.1 feel buggy as hell to everyone?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Oct 27, 2013.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yep. I think they've actually done a semi-decent job of leaving functionality while making things easier for morons to use.
    I'm sure some people would beg to differ; especially the ad-hoc network users.

I remember when Windows 7 came out. A lot of people were whining about how their programs didn't run correctly and that it was buggy as well.
    It's not always MS's fault when everything isn't working perfectly. Sometimes there's driver issues. Sometimes there's coding issues.
    Sometimes people just don't want to learn how to do things a different way so they can whine on a forum all day.

2. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    They could make a 100% bug-free Windows version with every single thing you want in it; call it Gabellano's Windows, and you'd still complain.
    You, sir, are a whiner.

3. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
  5. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    8.1 is working like a champ, Metro apps are opening more quickly(mail app is almost instant) and never had any bugs.. had some hiccups with 8.1 preview even with RTM but its all gone with those 3 magic updates. :worthy:
    I love 8.1:mauridia:

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #66 Mutagen, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    No issues with my desktop. One bit of flakiness on my Dell M4700 laptop - I'll be doing something/anything when suddenly the Metro GUI pops up. I go back to the desktop and continue. Never loose anything, just pisses me off. I changed the touchpad settings to just the basic stuff - point, tap, click - none of the pinch, squeeze, zoom, rotate, wipe-my-ass silliness, but the issue remains.

7. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    No.

No.

I don't give crap about Aero.

Hypocrisy from your part.

ANY Modern app can't compete with ANY desktop app.

No.

Don't see it, don't care.

Bye.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. eddy64

eddy64 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2013
    #69 eddy64, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    only thing ive found not working for me is the favorites are not showing on the menu in ie 11 and also cant enter the web browser of my router at 192.168.0.1 both worked fine before I did an upgrade to 8.1.

im not sure why they don't work.

edit:- favorites menu seems to have fixed itself, dunno why its working now.

9. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #70 CODYQX4, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

10. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #71 CODYQX4, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

11. Gerg

Gerg MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    I think 8.1 feels much rougher than Win 7.

Ive already had to reinstall 8.1 after the store app broke and wouldnt open while consuming 10% cpu non stop even after a restart.

Also had several crashes just trying to move files about and weird gfx glitches when resizing windows or moving them about.

Everything also seems to be kind of blurry on Win 8.1 compared to Win 7 too and is a strain on the eyes.

12. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I have no idea what most people here are talking about.

I experiment with everything I see online, and so far, on my present install of 8.1, I've found it to be more steady than 8. Not one app has crashed, and every program I install runs as smooth as a warm beer.

It can't be just me having a spotless install, so it definitely isn't a bug. People with complaints have probably not installed their stuff properly. Try cleaning up junk files and registry.

Either you're pulling this straight out of your @$$, or your display is messed up. Enable ClearType; install the latest drivers. 8.x uses fonts that make reading much better, and it's sharper and smoother than any other previous OS we've seen.

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't know that much about registry programming, but it seems like any program with permissions can just about do anything they want to in the registry.
    The amount of "system cleaner" programs is ridiculous.
    They need to like sandbox programs so that they are all in their own registry space.

14. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Unfortunately, that's true: the Registry is Windows Achilles' Heel :(

It should have been deprecated long ago, but Microsoft seems to be hell-bent in keeping it, no matter what. They are obsessed with databases, even where it doesn't make any sense.

The most egregious recent example for me is the stupid decision to replace a simple, text based boot configuration file (boot.ini) with a whole database that can be edited only by a poorly documented program (bcdedit). What's wrong with a simple text file? And if you want more options, just use XML! But a whole database just to store a few boot options??? Come on, it's ridiculous!

Windows is more complex than it needs to be. Sometimes I think that Microsoft introduces unnecessary complexity just to make it more difficult to administer the system. Maybe it is to sell more training courses and certification diplomas?

15. Grumphus

Grumphus MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Other than the annoyance of Windows 8.1 stealing my precious Win+S shortcut (mapped to Everything by voidtools :( ) Windows 8.1 works beautifully here (chose the upgrade option)

16. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #77 acyuta, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    I consider the above statement and other such similar statements by the poster on this forum as rude, arrogant, patronising, and an insult to the human intelligence.

To say that someone is a moron just because he finds windows 8 or any product difficult to use betrays a total lack of human understanding. I am sure everyone is a genius in some field but infinitely more is a moron in most other endeavours. For example, arguably Einstein may have a moron in painting just as Picasso may have been a moron in physics. That does not make either of them or for matter any human a moron. Or Einstein was a genius in his field but arguably a moron compared to a chef in a small road side hotel. For that matter, Einstein was arguably a moron in >99% of all human activities. In some fields or quality no matter how small of importance, people could shine so much so as to make the rest of the world look like a moron.

People may consider themselves experts in their field and give themselves the right to call others of low intelligence. However others may say the same thing in their field in which they shine. In this specific instance, just because someone can work better on computers does not prove anything or give them the right to call moron those people with lesser abilities in computers.

The average person using a PC wants an easy experience getting done what he wants. To insult him as a moron is to cause one’s own downfall as MS has learnt, is learning or may not have learnt by now. Whether the customer is a moron or not is immaterial to the fortunes of businesses. If the customer does not like a product, he will flee the product. Repeat the same mistakes and he will flee the company. Why should the customer spend hours learning. That brings me to this:

The customer is always right. Great companies listen to their customers and not treat them as captive subjects. It is the company who needs the customer and they should darn well listen to him and make his life easier. The history of business is littered with the corpses of businesses who thought they were right and the customer better adjust to what they offer. Arrogance and pride usually precedes the fall.

This forum is populated by people who do not know much about computers but seek help and understanding. Fortunately an overwhelming proportion of posts are civilised, non-condescending, and helpful.

17. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #78 magnus33, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    (OP)
    With a fresh install the bugs seems to have gone so its clear the upgrade process is a mess.
    No great shock there since its apparently bricked quite a few surface tablets.

Also lets keep the thread civil please and remember that guy you may think of as stupid may merely be seeing what you know.
    This business and hobby is a never ending learning experience that even the most experience are still amazed every day.

Now after a fresh install 8.1 has a smooth quick feel to the os and nothing crashed yet.
    The metro UI is still a sort of half-baked but installing the likes of startisback gives you the best of both worlds

Under that Ui its actually quite a stable os.

18. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Two points: One, I think he wasn't talking about regular computer users. He was talking about people who complain about ANY change, whether for the overall better or worse. And frankly, if someone constantly cribs about any change (which we all know is inevitable) then we need no further justification in calling that person a moron. Change is the most certain thing in the universe, and one is being stupid to think things will stay the same. Yes, the average person wants things to be easy, but WHO sets the definition for "easy"? A bunch of designners? The users? Hell, there are several sub-groups within the user base, each one clamouring for a different feature. Truth is, ease of use is largely decided by habit. You get used to clicking a start button for over a decade, and it suddenly goes missing. The OS still works well though, so stop making such small niggles the scapegoats. Deal with it.

Secondly: Companies CANNOT listen to all their customers. Two reasons: One, if the customer base is sufficiently large, it's absolutely impossible to please everyone. One user wants no new features. Another whines that the OS feels dated. What would you do? Second reason: Most of the time, the customers (and I mean a typical end user) do not know what they want. Source? Steve Jobs. Apple, which, if you remember, is the world's second-largest IT company (yes, ahead of M$) breathes by this rule. Give the customer something that's dazzling enough - AND locked-down enough- that they won't even think of moving away. Sometimes, the walled garden has its benefits. Google came out with Android, open-source. And they're slowly, silently making it closed-source. Customers are right only when they're perfectly clear about what they want, which most of them are not.

In short, his outburst was justified, and I see no reason to complain since there are some REALLY annoying people in this forum, like the guy who posts about his dislike of Windows on a forum dedicated to- (drum roll)- Windows. We all have our little pet peeves, and having to listen to the whining of lazy people is one of them.

19. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    moron (noun): Informal. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
    The vast majority of computer users fall into at least one of the criteria in the definition.
    It does have an arrogant connotation, but I never claimed to be politically correct.

I am, myself, a moron with regards to the workings of automobiles. I am fairly stupid about the workings of the parts and how to replace things.
    You're reading a little too much into the use of the word moron and injecting too much emotion.