Does windows 8.1 feel buggy as hell to everyone?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    1) Make sure you are using your monitor's native resolution.

2) Turn off DPI scaling.

8.1 has a new form of DPI scaling that kicks in for DPI-unaware applications (or after a DPI change without a logoff, such as when Windows auto-bumps your DPI after installing a GPU driver for the first time), which can cause blurriness. I personally wouldn't use DPI scaling unless my DPI's around or over 200 ("normal" DPI is 96).

2. abobobilly

abobobilly MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2012
    I upgraded to 8.1 from Win8 and then used KMS Pico to activate it.

I am noticing that MetroApps (like Mail, Skype, People app etc) have started to ask me to "Use my Microsoft Account to Sign-in to PC", which is basically getting annoying now. I have to click "Sign-in to each app seaprately" option to make it go away.

Is it just me, or do the ms account really fail to stick? It has asked me like 5th time in past 12 hours when i tried to open up my Mail App.

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    With Windows 8.1, unfortunately, the MS Account is an integral part of the OS there's no way around it, better have sign in with an MS account to avoid this BS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. abobobilly

abobobilly MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2012
    Thanks for the prompt response.

So thats just in 8.1 right? Becuase in Win8, Local Account was working perfectly fine without these annoying popups to use MS Account inplace of Local.

If i am getting it right, you are saying its better to use a MS Account to log in to PC instead of a Local Account ... if i want to get rid of those annoying messages?

5. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    actually to avoid the bs , dont use the bs :D
    stick with local all

6. abobobilly

abobobilly MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2012
    I am just curious to know if i am the only one facing this. I did install it on a friend's lappy a couple of hours ago and it had the same behavior. Looks like Microsoft wants to "FORCE" people to use their Account to Sign-In to our PC. I just don't wanna do that.

7. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    exactly my point, however they get their info one way or another.....

8. abobobilly

abobobilly MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2012
    Yep, they do. And i do have a theory against using an MS account on a pirated OS, but that'd take things a bit too far lol.

I think i'll just have to settle with it. OR, some mod (maybe) could do the trick ... MAYBE.

9. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #109 Enigma256, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    I'm not seeing this problem. I use a local account on 8.1, and when I do a "sign in separately", it does stick. I have multiple MS accounts, and I have some services on one account and some services on a different account, so I'm pretty much forced to do separate signin because there's no way to merge accounts.

10. speedbirdengineer

speedbirdengineer MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    Well I had posted an earlier thread in this forum about problems with integrated webcam driver and a nice gentleman put up a link to the Skype updates for that. So I decided to give 1 more shot to windows 8.1 clean install and realized what a heap of s**t this is. Apart from the integrated webcam (displaying in the device manager under imaging devices) turning suddenly into usb cam under the same imaging devices, Bluetooth (windows 8) software refuse to show up in the system tray, and switching Bluetooth off thru PC settings cant get Bluetooth visible again, got me pulling my hair out. Even after a lil research found out on the net about a registry change under current user- control panel-Bluetooth to change value from 0 to 1, and after every intermittent reboot the Bluetooth icon is never visible in the system tray. Found out too that either under safe mode or normal mode uninstalling "root hub" from usb under device manager, brings back the webcam driver and operation back, and the facial recognition, but as soon as any software/device driver is installed after that, the s**t comes back again.

I know for many the OS has installed properly enough, (I have windows 8.1 on my old Inspiron 6000 without a graphics driver) and it works well cos the poor laptop aint have any additional hardware on it, and I am happy about that, but I think this OS is infuriating another few lot too cos its even s**ttier than Windows 7. I aint a guru at computers and OSs but I have enough common sense to tell Microsoft that if they r going to reproduce a modern OS, they better know how to differentiate between their arses and their backs, and reproduce an OS that is compatible with all types of computers around the world that AT LEAST were running on windows 7 hardware. The worst irony is that computers running on windows 8 smooth-as, are having issues with 8.1.

I aint bitching or whining at anyone or any individual, but I just want to relate that MS has to get their s**t together and understand to make an OS for people who can install without any hassles especially when they don't have all the time in the world to do so and sort stuff out. If that's the case then MS shouldn't release an OS in a hurried manner.

My apologies at being infuriated but I spent 48 hrs trying to get this stuff sorted out. If any gurus here have any remedy for it would be nice for all of us with the same issue for future use, but I know for sure now that I aint even looking at 8.1 for another 6 months cos I am already installing my good-old windows 8 back on my comp. I don't know whether a windows store upgrade might be more fruitful as far as all the issues I faced, but I aint taking any chances anyways. The reason why I put up my issues here is that maybe,,, JUST MAYBE someone else did face the same issues, cos I know there are loads of the same issues floating on the net.

God Bless.

11. realraydon

realraydon MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    No such issue with my home pc so far.

12. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Here another glitch.

Fresh install (with and without latest updates), Windows 8.1 creates a "System Volume Information" with a "IndexerVolumeGuid" file in it that contains a GUID on Fat/Fat32 formated USB key.

anyone knows how to fix this?

13. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    just uninstalled this buggy piece of s**tz OS and installed Windows 7 Pro FTW

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    When you press with the right button of the mouse on folder and press in the menu on "include in library", the icons of documents, music, pictures and video not displayed with full colors.

15. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Weird, this didn't happen in my case. :g:

16. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    No bugs here ........ yet, runs pretty smoothly.
    The only problem I have experienced so far is updating my Nvidia graphics card driver through Windows update and that is more than likely an Nvidia problem.

Other than that and the shell32.dll being fragile as a snowflake, making it hard on us customizers, I think the OS runs pretty well.

17. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
  18. traveller

traveller MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    Right now I can't type words like Bluetooth, Explorer in Metro search box except first letter B or E. After that search box vanish from the screen and I'm getting nothing, just fan accelerate. The same thing happens at letters A, D, G, I, J, L, P, R, S, T and V. Interestingly enough there is no problem with letters like Č, Š, Ž and rest of the characters.
    I think it's a Windows bug. Correct me, if I'm wrong. I,m on Slovenian version of 8.1 pro.

Not to mention, where is Bluetooth Control Panel to set Audio Playback from Smartphone, like in Windows 7?

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    if it were a Windows bug, all of us had the same issue like you have. As it is not, the problem is at your end. Whatever typing problem might occur is related to language files. If you find abnormal fan speed is related to drivers. Go and update your generic installed drivers to the ones which your machine's manufacturer provides

20. traveller

traveller MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    Thank you! I will start HP Support Assistant. Machine is HP EliteBook 8770w Mobile Workstation.