Don't think I'll install 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rickkins, Sep 4, 2013.

1. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Well, why do you guys bother installing Windows 8 or even 8.1 if you don't like it, just stick to the solution you do like and be happy about it. I don't get it at all.

2. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Disagree, its all about using an O.S. on a desktop

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M0rriss0n

Sep 17, 2011
    Because 8 is better without certain features
    As a desktop O.S. I like Win-X, customized with win-x editor
    Charms disabled with no metro UI
    Win 8 is faster
    Native .ISO support
    We all named the pro's and con's, Microsoft must let the user decide what they want, but they don"t!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. M0rriss0n

Sep 17, 2011
    There is also a thread about Microsoft spying on MDL, the more negativity the more meetings Microsoft will have with their staff!

5. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Everybody can do what ever he wants to do. If you ask me there is absolutely no point convincing people to see it your way. If you are just saying you're not going to install 8.1, I'd say thx4info. That's totally okay w/ me. If you're trying to change things and it became kinda your obsession to do that? Also fine w/ me. Everyone can do what ever he wants to do. Set it up in your way. Fine. I will do that too...in my way. That's it! ;]

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Just an observation... but it seems like those that disagree with a particular point of view feel it necessary to post derogatory remarks without offering a plausible argument to the contrary :rolleyes:

- if the OP posted any misleading information, then by all means correct his misguidance.. but pointless replies like "if you don't like, don't use it" serves no purpose - if you disagree with an opinion, ignore it and move on to another thread? :hug2:

7. M0rriss0n

Sep 17, 2011
    Keep Windows 8, as I do, customized to your needs.
    I am waiting for Windows 9 (or how they may call it) as well, if some decent desktop support availability!

8. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Add user tips and superior multi-tasking in there too.

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Main reason to upgrade to 8.1:
    File system is a LOT faster.

Secondary reasons:
    You can resetbase the winsxs folder to take up less room after updating through windows update
    numlock works on logon
    Few useless apps changed around to useful ones (skype etc)

Opinion about search charm:
    I've never had a problem finding anything with it, though most people don't realize you can do (Winkey+F) to bring up the Find Files search or (Winkey+S) to Search Everywhere

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    ... why do most people never seem to be aware of (or care about) performance and resource usage improvements? Or even the newer WDDM and DirectX level?

11. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Define "a lot faster". I have a fairly fast machine (fx-8150), would I actually see this increased speed with my naked eye..??(seriously, I'd like to know... I do reserve the right to change my mind)

Things taking up 'less room' not really an issue, I have 9TB of hd space...

12. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I take it you don't have the OS installed on a SSD drive or let me guess you have a 512g SSD too.

13. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Nopes. WD caviar black, 1TB...

14. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Well it settles then, you've an AMD Faildozer that's why you don't see the difference. :)

15. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    How can he see the difference if has not even installed the OS yet?

@Rickkins: I have a similar backup system (I think older than yours, Phenom II x9450). Win 8.1 definitely feels snappier than Win 8 in general usage.

16. xDownSetx

xDownSetx MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    Okay, forget 8.1. Put that OS on an SSD at your earliest convenience.

17. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    there are loads of under the hood improvements

18. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    That explains everything. You are using an antiquated mechanical hard drive on a modern OS. Try installing Win8.1 on an SSD hard drive.

19. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #39 pra_viilon, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

I am over 12 years old. And I use both charms bar and Skydrive. And they're are very useful in certain scenarios. For other scenarios I still have my USB stick and all classical desktop apps. This topic makes no sense. I guess I should not have responded after all.

20. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Depends on your applications and how much they load up your hardware. For light applications, the difference may seem small to unnoticeable; however for larger applications (both games and productivity applications), the difference even between 8 and 8.1, let alone 7 and 8.1, can be pretty noticeable. Doubtless what the OP really means is that he's gotten so comfortable with the Start menu (not to kick the OP - I've seen this elsewhere, even here at MDL) that changing isn't worth the aggro (to the OP).
    One area I have (in addition to what I pointed to above) noticed some changes for the better is QuickTask. It gains access to all the features normally found on the Charm Bar - not some or most, but all. While the Charm Bar was mousable, it can now be completely avoided. (Yes - that means you can sleep/hibernate, shut down, or restart from QuickTask.) The Run box is now in QuickTask, too (it was conspicuous before only by its absence). Also added are three often-accessed items from Control Panel - Programs and Features, Power Options, and Network Connections. While you normally access Disk Management from Computer Management (and you still can), both have separate items in QuickTask - even the Event Viewer shows up as a separate item. Still missing is a Windows PowerShell prompt (rats).