Dos .....!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sanrajbhar, Sep 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sanrajbhar

sanrajbhar MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2013
    :confused: :confused:
    Nowdays, I obeserved some online website selling laptop in cheap price with good configuration but with Pre-installed DOS OS. as far as i know, dos is command line utility in all window version(98,xp,7,8). How it become OS. if it is OS ....how it will look...how one can login, how one can type doc, xls or even simple web-browsing (as i know in window, it is black screen called cmd).. I am very cuirous to know about it. if any screen shot or video of Dos is available, post the link.

PS: I am used to use window 98 then xp,7, and then Now 8.

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek:ummm well it was meant to reduce cost and you have to install an OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to install DOSBox for some retro fun... :biggrin:

sanrajbhar,
    Already checked what wikipedia has to offer about DOS (and Windows)?
    No video, but some screenshots. Think DOS as your command line window in full screen. No Windows, unless it's (very old version) is separately installed "on top of" (as one more program in) DOS. Those were simple times... :wheelchair:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    DOS (Disk Operating System) was a full operating system in the past. If was a 16bits OS, which didn't support "USER" neither multi-tasking. You had to navigate through your files manually using command like "CD" and then run the program you want to run (which where mostly EXE or COM files).

Windows was a graphical user interface (GUI) installed on top of DOS. DOS was required to run Windows. Windows didn't support either "USER" profile. It was multitasking though. Mostly 16bits, with a little support of 32bits using a subset of WIN32X (if I remember correctly).

On the "home user" side, Windows 95, 98 and ME was stil working on top of DOS (version 7, not available separatly). On the "enterprise" site, Windows NT was a full and complete 32 bits OS which was NOT running over DOS. Still, the "Command Prompt" was still tehre tu support low-lever access and Scripting to the operating system.

Also, there was some other "DOS" clone, like Free-DOS which is free and open-source. This is probably the one you saw installed on the computer. Basically, is if just installed to show you the computer is working. Up to you to format and install Windows, Linux, etc. on it.

Source : My personnal experience and knowledge, since I started on IBM computer with DOS on IBM XT. Tried and used all Windows version since 3.0 to 8.1 (excluding Windows NT 3.5 and 3.51, but including Windows NT 4.0)

5. Gr818

Gr818 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2013
    I sstill have ol laptop with DOS

it works. May try to get linus on it though.