doubled my RAM, XP runs faster, 7 can't tell a difference?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by stayboogy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    I just upgraded my RAM to 2GB from 1GB and I honestly can't tell much of a difference.

When I'm logged into my XP partition it seems to startup and operate much quicker doing almost everything, but when I'm logged into my 7 partition I'm not really seeing much of a difference.

should it really be like this? I know most would say that it should only be noticeable when multitasking, but technically the machine is always multitasking considering all the services and programs running in the background along with whatever I'm doing...

any thoughts?

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    My thought is that you would most likely notice more difference on a fresh installation. Have had that in the past when I doubled my RAM whilst in XP. After a fresh install few months later, I did notice the OS was faster, more responsive than it was when I first upgraded the RAM. I presume the same would apply to any Windows installation.

My guess this is because some system parameters regarding memory allocation/usage are probably only 'triggered'/applied during the installation and might need extra procedures (if applicable) to be messed with later. Don't really know, just a guess :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...