Downgrade installed 8.1 Pro (unactivated) to 8.1 Core

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by A30N, Oct 27, 2013.

1. A30N

A30N MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    I have 2 laptops that I clean-installed Windows 8.1 Pro with a CD-key, and they are both unactivated. I just got a job working at an electronics store that sells Windows 8.1 Pro & Core Editions, and I get a discount (not sure how much). If I buy Core Edition, will I be able to enter the keys and activate, or do I need to switch the CD-key somehow to Core Edition first before activating?

Also, will I be able to activate the second laptop with the same key? I was able to get away with this with Windows 7. I had to do the phone activation for the second laptop, but both stayed genuine for as long as I had them.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    since you obviously entered the pro key for installation you cannot undo this to get core. The initial setup determines which version will be installed.
    The key which you can purchase will be a retail key good for at least 5 activations

3. A30N

A30N MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    I hate to have to reinstall everything, but if my employee discount takes a good amount off the total price, then I think I will go ahead and get the Pro retail.

One question I just thought of: I just activated a retail copy of Office 2013 Home & Student on one of the laptops, and I hear that the key is one-use only and non-transferable between installations. Is there a way to back it up and restore it safely?

4. A30N

A30N MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    Thank you good sirs! It's been a long day and my googling skills have dulled as a result.