Downgrade Windows 7 Enterprise x64 to Ultimate - Possible!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by akpe, Feb 28, 2011.

1. akpe

akpe MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2011
    #1 akpe, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    Hello people.

With the inability to use Daz's loader with windows 7 enterprise, I hoped to be able to switch to ultimate without the need of a format. Something that, at least a year ago, I thought it was not possible. However, while googling, I came across this utility:

intowindows.com/downgrade-from-windows-7-ultimate-to-professional-or-home-premium-edition-using-windows-7-downgrader/

(sorry, can't post direct links yet)

It supposedly lets you change your version without a format... with a single click (and the Windows Ultimate DVD)! Is this even possible? Could it work in an unregistered version?

Update: It works! (at least worked for me!)

So here are the steps I took. If you plan to try it out, by common sense, backup first, use at your own risk, at least wait for some more comments!
    I took the liberty of editing my original post with this info, I think it's easier to see.

1) I downloaded the first Windows 7 Ultimate x64 version I found and burnt a dvd with it. (I know you guys suggest a "clean" ISO, but the first one I got was the BIE one.)
    2) I used MBR Regenerator to clean RemoveWAT and rearm my system once.
    3) After the two reboots, I logged in Win7 Enterprise when I got the "your copy is not genuine" watermark
    4) I ignored it and ran Windows 7 Downgrader. Just as the instructions say, I opened the file as administrator, clicked on "Downgrade to Ultimate" and then closed the app.
    5) I opened the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 I burnt earlier (careful, through windows explorer, not boot), ran setup.exe and selected to upgrade.
    6) I waited... and waited... and waited... and $#%@#$%$@#$ waited...
    7) After about two to three hours (!!!) and a couple of reboots I now have a full working version of Windows 7 Ultimate... with my files and programs intact! (well, sort of, see problems)
    8) Downloaded the latest Windows 7 Loader (the BIE integrated one is way too old I guess and ran it.

Of course, the following is only for people who downloaded a BIE version, or one with an integrated loader! Whoever gets a "clean" ISO should only just use the loader once to activate his copy.

9) Followed the instructions in "Common questions and answers", that is, open loader uninstall/reboot/install/reboot/activated. Worked like a charm! I'm now fully activated, sticker and all, without anything missing from my system!

Plus, all updates up to SP1 (including KB971033) installed without a hitch! Although I had to disable AVG2011 to install SP1, was getting an error if I didn't.

Only problems I faced:

1) I had to reinstall my GPU drivers (msi gtx460), for some weird reason they were gone!
    2) Some apps stopped working. Daemon Tools stopped working due to some SPTD issue. Uninstalling/reinstalling the app, and it now works like a charm. Asus PC Probe gave me an error popup on startup, (known error when upgrading OS) but it worked ok. Nevertheless I got rid of it. Also, all of my msconfig startup items were disabled, I had to enable them manually

3) (not really the app's problem but...) Careful what you download. I'm such an idiot that I downloaded a BIE version with updates up to 02/2010! So I had to reinstall every update since last year from scratch. Good job, took another two hours of my time!

So, at the end of the day, apparently this app works, or at least it can work! Again, backup first, use at your own risk, or at least wait for someone with more experience than me to comment on the procedure, or even give it a try. I did not create this, I'm nowhere near computer literate enough to guarantee 100% success for anyone and I wouldn't like someone to ruin their installment of windows because of my enthusiasm. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I'm amazed how many times this question has been asked recently. Your wording though is creative. :)

If you can manage to downgrade it to Professional (or even one of the lower editions) then Anytime Upgrade should be able to get you to Ultimate - if you are using the OEM:SLP activation method and it's working at the lower level.

Sounds like you are going to skip the downgrade step entirely and try to crossgrade. Let us know how that goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. akpe

akpe MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2011
    Well, I found a similar post (also through google) but it was from '09, thought I'd start a new one since things may changed.

Now, according to a couple of comments, the app/hack/whatever also works straight from Enterprise>Ultimate without losing data :D

Ill just have to wait for the dvd to be downloaded, then I'll give it a go. Damn 8mbit dsl :(

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Stop whimpering, I've got only 1.5mbit :mad:

5. akpe

akpe MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2011
    #5 akpe, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    (OP)
    Well, I'm paying for 24mbit so pretty soon the whimper is gonna turn into a rant towards our national telecommunications company :p

On topic... it worked!

I used MBR Regenerator, went into trial mode on Enterprise, then used the tool and my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 BIE dvd to "Upgrade" to Ultimate. After waiting (it took A LOT of time, around 2.5 hours), I'm now in Windows 7 Ultimate!

Pretty much everything works perfectly. Only drawback is I have to download every update since last February from scratch... but oh well, beggars can't be choosers :D

Windows 7 Loader probably works, but I guess the one integrated into BIE is a much older version (it's windows 7 loader intergrated into BIE editions, right?). I'm gonna try to install the latest version after I do all of the required upgrades though.

Edit: I went ahead and installed the latest loader prior to installing the updates. Everything fine, at least until now. 58 updates and a service pack to go. :)

Edit 2: Most of the updates are now installed (including KB971033) and no issues with activation. I still have a couple to go, and no SP1 available yet, although it will be soon.

I will post a rough guide on what and how I did tomorrow, just not now, I'm sorry :(

It's 4am here and I'm almost sleep walking!

Edit 3: I took the liberty of editing my original post with the steps i took, I think it's easier to see. Ηope Ι'm not being intrusive :)