Downgraded Win8 to Win7 - how to backup OEM activation?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Satolr, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Satolr

Satolr MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi guys :),

I hope, you can help me with following issue:
    I got a laptop with a preinstalled Win8 OEM version on it. Since I prefer Win7, I wanted to downgrade my Win8 to Win7.

I used the "Windows 8 Product Key Viewer" to get my Win8-Key. Then I removed Win8, installed Win7 and used the DAZ-Loader (with default settings).

But I'm curious now: did the DAZ-Loader overwrite the SLIC/MSDM table? I didn't had to restart, when DAZ-Loader was finished.
    So my main question would be: Am I still able to reinstall Win8, using my OEM-Product key and activate it? Or did I irrecoverably damage the MSDM table, and my product key is quite useless now?!

Any help is much appreciated :).
    Thanks for reading :cool:.

Kind regards,
    Satolr

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Daz's loader never interferes with data located in the bios aka slic 2.1 or such

3. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #3 Humphrey, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    If you didn't need to restart after running the Loader this means you have SLIC 2.1 in BIOS (in addition to OA3 MSDM table).
    1. The Loader never modifies your BIOS, everything is done in RAM only.
    2. With the SLIC 2.1 in BIOS the ''loader'' part of the Loader wasn't even installed, just the cert and key.

You could even dual-boot both.

5. Satolr

Satolr MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2011
    Many thanks for your quick help, guys :).
    Highly appreciated! :)

SOLVED