Downgrading to older Windows 10 builds

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by grapha, Nov 21, 2019.

1. grapha

grapha MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2018
    Hello! I'm trying to find out if it's possible, and how I would go about downgrading to an older Windows 10 build. Right now i'm running, Windows 10 Pro, 1909. I'd like to downgrade to 1709. I have no idea how to do this or if its even possible. I'm looking to downgrade to this version so I can have uncapped FPS while running games in border-less full screen mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can put any version of Windows on your computer, it's up to you, and at least till now, there is no obstacles.
    If you don't already have it, download and install the version you want. You can even install Windows 95 or 98 if you want.
    But what the weird word "Downgrade" means, I don't understand. Probably this is my limited intellect or mind problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    As far as we have tested, it's not possible to downgrade to a lower build, with keeping files and apps.

4. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Back up Files & Clean Install.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Exactly. Nothing more nothing less, as expected. For the first time I agree with you. :clap3:

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You know, but I totally don't care if you agree or not. But of course it's nice that you finally start to become a normal person. That's really nice to hear.
    If you could go so far as to stop commenting on people and only start writing if there is something relevant to say, it would be fantastic.
    Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Wut? :laie:

8. grapha

grapha MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2018
    Thanks for the help guys. I don't know if you are joking with me or not but by downgrade, I mean getting to a previous version without doing a clean install. I understand this may be a stupid question but I wasn't sure what was possible. On another note, I was able to find a solution to my problem that doesn't require me to change my version of windows 10. I was able to fix this FPS capping issue in border-less full-screen mode, by installing an older driver for my GPU.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No one is kidding you here.
    Already answered:

10. The only problem you may come across is that once you flatten and reload your machine with an older copy of windows 10 is that once installed your older windows 10 will automatically want to update you to the latest windows so therefor you will have to turn off windows updates to prevent that from happening.