Downloading to a NAS

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by stephenjones007, Feb 15, 2016.

1. stephenjones007

stephenjones007 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    Hello, I have a wd my cloud attached to my asus router. The router has a download manager but it can only download files to a usb drive connected directly to the router's usb port. I was wondering if there is a way to use the router's download manager to download directly to the wd my cloud so I dont need to keep my computer turned on 24/7.

I have some old routers lying around that I can play around with. I heard about ddwrt. Would installing this allow me to download to the NAS?

2. TuuS

TuuS MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2016
    Not sure if I can help you with this, but I can tell you that some of the older WD nas devices you could replace the firmware with a linux system and make it a basic torrent seedbox. I had one of their early 1gb NAS with 2 500gb drives and when a drive failed I was going to upgrade it with two 2gb drives and use the linux that included transmission torrent client, however I abandoned the project after realizing the device was only designed to work with one exact model of harddrive and wouldn't recognize any others. There were hacks available to get past that, but I decided to go with a new NAS instead.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help