DreamScene

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mustafa Can, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I need a few questions about DreamScene, hoping to find some answers on here.

How DreamScene works, talking about technical details, how it replaces with wallpaper? Is it driven via DWM? Is it use Hardware Accelation?

Is there any public or hidden api that controls DreamScene functions? If yes, how to use them?

Is it possible to run it on Windows Vista w/o Ultimate, Windows 7, 8 and RT?

How it affects system performance? Try to compare it with a standalone media player. Many say it's removed because of performance problems, I say all windows ultimate extras are abondoned without any reason. Tinker, Dreamscene... all gone.

Thans for everyone who reply, I really need those information :sailor:

2. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    doubt it uses DWM
    but it does use DirectX, most probably direct3d just like VLC player
    the only crap of Microsoft's product is that Dreamscene is limited to WMV
    while VLC player will play any video

so yeah screw it ahahah

3. solarstone2149

Dec 11, 2009
    old versions didn't have that bug

4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    how about media player classic with directx output, AFAIK it disables context menu but seems less buggy than vlc
    handles color better IMO

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    The same reason Vista was abandoned, everything about Vista was fail, including their 'Ultimate Extras' or lack there of

Useless resource hog, as was the entire OS and if you Google for DreamScene on Windows 7, you can get it working, but it destroys the font on desktop Icons - so they obviously changed something that it relies on in Vista to be able to display fonts correctly while its running

6. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Aero theme and DWM itself is made for Vista too. If you are not using Win2000/XP you most probably using it. Why are you using them if they look like "fail" to you?

Using Windows Server 2012 R2 Workstation here (Server version of Windows 8.1) It looks like DreamScene is completely abandoned. I can set as desktop background but it can't play them.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    When did I say I was using Vista? I haven't touched Vista since the very first leak of 7, that OS is absolute fail in every single way

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    When did I mention Aero theme and DWM ?

Stop inventing crap - I said Vista & Ultimate extras was fail, end of.

9. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    From my opinion, everything includes everything originally made for Vista. Since Aero and DWM (And tons of other stuff, from MUI to Desktop gadgets.) is originally made for Vista. And you are saying they fail and still using them.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #14 Espionage724, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but I really don't understand why Vista gets so much flak. If anything, I blame OEMs for shipping under-powered and improperly-supported machines with Vista (Acer sold me a launch-Vista laptop with 512MB of RAM, and an Intel 950GMA which caused rare explainable BSoDs for a while until a driver update).

I think Vista is a fine OS when on appropriate hardware, but really that goes with any operating system.

As for DreamScene, I think it was a pretty cool concept, and don't quite see why it isn't even an included option anymore. The user could control when and when not to enable it, and it was even smart enough not to run while on batteries, and paused altogether when a window was maximized or when a fullscreen application was up. It even disabled itself if it detected Explorer crashed in the past (whether or not it was the reason). In other words, DreamScene is pretty smart when deciding when and when not to run without user-intervention, and that's pretty awesome.

11. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    couldn't agree more, in fact using vista x64 right now, got rid of 8 altogether, hmm, I have my reasons, hehe :cool:

12. solarstone2149

Dec 11, 2009
    this makes no sense whatsoever