Dreamspark 2012 R2 Keys.

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by unrandomsam, Oct 20, 2013.

1. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    Has anybody worked out what can be done with them ?

(Does just installing Datacenter allow the auto VM activation thing to work properly. Can the Standard Key be used on 2012 R2 Essentials trial to make it legitimate).

At the moment I have Hyperv Server 2012 and normal VM's using server 2012. (And Linux VM's).

What happens with ReFS does that need to be reformatted to work successfully ? (Or a command similar to zpool upgrade is needed).

(As far as I know there is no easy way to get test keys like there was last year).

Anything that anybody knows would be extremely helpful to me. (And more than likely others).

Thanks

2. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    On UNIX with ZFS there are some useful time saving tricks. (Pulling one of the drives out of the zfs mirror). Creating a new degraded one. Migrating the Data then destroying the original one and adding that drive back into the mirror.

Seems that having the VM's on ReFS might work better as of this release. (The thing to do with multiple accesses to the same file). Not sure about any improvements to using sparse volumes either.

Most of the new docs seem to be not what I need to know.

3. r0gu3

r0gu3 MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2013
    The auto VM activation depends on the host status. If host is activated, VM's will be fine.
    Can't post links here yet, google AVMA keys Server 2012R2 for different Editions (Datacenter/Standard/Essentials)