Driver-clean Windows 7 Installation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LFDDatMyDigitalLife, Aug 27, 2010.

1. LFDDatMyDigitalLife

LFDDatMyDigitalLife MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2010
    #1 LFDDatMyDigitalLife, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    Hi,

So, in order to have a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate, I would like to install as less as driver as possible (not sure it is a good english sentence :confused:) !

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on:
    Asus P7P55D-E Pro (Intel Chipset Serie 5)
    AHCI Mode (but I will NOT use RAID technology)
    Intel i7 860
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5700 Serie
    Creative SB X-Fi XtremGamer
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW
    Basic PS/2 Keyboard
    Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse
    LG GSA-H10N DVD Writer

First question, must I install

1°) Intel Matrix Storage Manager
    2°) JMicron JMB36X Controler Driver

to enjoy AHCI Mode or can I avoid it ?
    (I'm NOT using RAID and I will NOT use it)

PS: I notify it cause I read that if not using RAID, it was not necessary, but want to be sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LFDDatMyDigitalLife

Aug 19, 2010
    #2 LFDDatMyDigitalLife, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Do you have AHCI mode selection in BIOS?

Why would you even bother to buy IDE to SATA adapter? Not to have standard IDE driver loaded? If that is the only reason then it is pure madness! Most likely on SATA connection it will use the very SAME driver

Of course you do not the whole Matrix, just the Intel driver for the controller

sebus

4. LFDDatMyDigitalLife

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes, I'm in AHCI Mode !

No, that is not the reason.

My DVD Writer is an IDE device. It's connected to the only one UltraDMA port available on my motherboard (new Asus model). But this UltraDMA port is controlled by the JMicron Controller, and not by the Intel Chipset like all the other Sata port. So I have to install a driver for the JMicron Chip and a driver for the DVD Writer.
    But if I can connect the IDE DVD Writer to a Sata port controlled by the Intel Chipset, I can disable this JMicron Controller through BIOS.
    So, this way, I could only install the DVD Writer driver and no JMicron driver.

The question is, will my IDE device connected to a SATA port (in AHCI Mode) be recognized by the Intel Chipset ?
    A DVD Writer don't use hot-plugging and NCQ.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    No it will not be AHCI, and it will most likely use the very same driver (Standard IDE) that you are using NOW when connected to JMicron controller

sebus