DriverPack Solution

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Rusty69, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Rusty69

Rusty69 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2015
    This may not be new, but it was news to me. DriverPack Solution v.17 seems to be a successor to the old Driverpacks.net, which hasn't been updated since 2012. This is not your usual driver finder crap. This package HAS the drivers! It comes with scan and install/replace software, but the drivers can be used as driverpacks. Covering XP to 10 and every conceivable type of hardware, it's a massive collection. At 12gb, it's a huge download, and may not be worth it for a few drivers. But if you work on a wide variety of machines, a flash drive loaded with this package could save a lot of download time. Oh, and it's free.

Download:
    drp.su/index.htm
    (sorry, I'm not mature enough to post real links)

I have no interest or affiliation.

Rusty

2. Rusty69

Rusty69 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2015
    #3 Rusty69, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    (OP)
    There didn't seem to be any crapware in the download I got. I wasn't aware that Snappy Driver actually had the drivers in it. Good to know, I'm always leery of anything produced by the Russians.

edit: I can't even Quote a message with a link in it. :eek:

edit2: It appears that Snappy Driver is a Russian product too.:weep:

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009

Sowhat if its russian?

4. malakoulis

malakoulis MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2012
    SDI is 10 times better. You pick what packs you want to download (I never download GPU driverpacks) and also checks for updates. Through download his interface you can update your driverpacks and the program auto-deletes the outdated packs.

5. danye1

danye1 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2015
    Drivers take only the manufacturer's site hardware ...

6. Rusty69

Rusty69 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2015
    This is good to know, though I did not see a way to selectively download driverpacks. I am currently downloading the full package. Should be done in another day or so.:(

7. Rusty69

Rusty69 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2015
    Lingering, deep-seated cold-war mistrust coupled with continuing reports of highly effective and destructive Russian malware and a very bad Kaspersky experience.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #9 Joe C, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Russians do have better media liberties than Americans. RIAA & MPAA enslavement, Forgotten & trampled constitutional amendment right to create a personal copy

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Many russians are still cool. You dont have to use it if you dont want to;)

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The driverpacks from the old days were easy for pre integrating with dism (only masstorage (F6) back in the xp time and (w)lan for 7), this pack sometimes installs shi**y drivers. Always get drivers to use for post-install from the original manufacturer's support site.

11. Rusty69

Rusty69 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2015
    I just found the crapware in DPR when I let it automatically install all drivers (instead of using expert mode). It installed Opera, Firefox and a couple of other packages in Russian language, changed my homepage to Yandex and who knows what else (but failed to install the drivers). Fortunately, it was a test machine. Finally got Snappy Driver downloaded, I like the looks of it, cleaner and update-able. With very slow internet service in my area (1-2 mbs) and a large variety of machines to service, this will make my job a LOT easier! Thanks!

12. BadPointer

BadPointer MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2015
    DriverPack Solution and Snappy Driver Installer use the same driverpacks.
    These driverpacks are put together by a guy named SamLab.

SamLab recently made an announcement:
    [ANNOUNCEMENT]
    Here’s the roadmap for the next month. All driverpacks will be optimized for SDI(Snappy Driver Installer) by removing markers and other workarounds that were a life support for DPS(DriverPack Solution). New driverpacks will work with DPS for some time during the transition period but the reliability will degrade and no further effort will be made to prolong DPS/DIA support.

Stages:
    1. Removal/renaming of markers - completed.
    2. Removal of duplicate folders(DPS won’t be able to pick correct driver without these) - in progress.
    3. Correction of signed drivers - scheduled.
    [/ANNOUNCEMENT]

The reason SamLab is doing it, both DPS and DIA haven’t been updated for years and their driver matching algorithm is inferior to SDI. As such, these unmaintained tools caused unnecessary bloating of driverpacks and held back development of driverpacks because some drivers couldn't be included. Dropping support for DPS/DIA and focusing on SDI will make driverpacks smaller and more complete in the long run.

The DPS team haven’t worked on improving the core functionality for years because they’re too busy loading DPS with adware and tweaking the interface. Since all SamLab’s requests to fix DPS went unanswered for years, he decided that there’s no point in maintaining workarounds anymore. DPS is among the weakest driver updaters anyway, and users are encouraged to switch over to SDI or some driver updaters.

I must say that I’m the developer of Snappy Driver Installer and was involved developing DriverPack Solution in the past.

You can find Snappy Driver Installer thread here on MDL in the "MDL Projects and Applications" section.

You can read the full story under the spoiler below.
    Snappy Driver Installer was first released in February 2014. It started out as a fork/rewrite of DriverPack Solutiоn which differentiated from it by having no adware, no premium features, being faster(hence its name), taking great care in picking best matched drivers, not leaving traces in systems and being honest to users.

Previously I worked on DriverPack Solutiоn(DPS) and made significant contributions to it. It's worth mention that it's a commercially successful project and its annual revenue is about $1 000 000. I worked as a volunteer and made no attempt to claim any of that money. DriverPack Solutiоn uses the same old driver matching engine that I wrote a long time ago and no one touched it since I quit the project because no one else understands how it works. While the software hasn't been updated since 2013, a new version comes out each month thanks to SamLab's driverpacks. Users are already used to its defects such as installing touchpad drivers on desktops, installing both Realtek and Creative at the same time, scripting errors, etc. SamLab still tries to make his driverpacks compatible with DPS but it causes bloating of driverpacks because in order to trick DPS into installing the correct driver, he has to duplicate the same driver multiple times. Also he can't include some drivers because DPS would renders PCs unbootable trying installing them. I'm not fixing these issues because I no longer support DPS and users better off using SDI anyway.

Even though SDI outperformed DPS in every way and doesn't include any adware, DPS is vastly more popular and recognized. It has to do with the fact АrtX put a lot resources into advertising and trying to capitalize on adware. His employee went on saying on forums that they target housewives because they're easily tricked into installing adware and don't complain about poorly picked drivers due to not being tech-savvy.

I need to give some backstory explaining how I get involved in the first place. There's not much information about the project on English speaking forums, so hopefully people will be able to piece it together to get a better idea on how things unfolded.

Back in 2009 I started working as a PC technician at a company that had over 1000 PCs and there was no Internet due to a security policy. So I started looking for software that would help me with installing drivers.

The best one that I found was Driver Pack Autorun(it was re-branded as DriverPack Solutiоn some time later). It used driverpacks from driverpack.net(they're meant to be slipstreamed into Windows installation discs) and relied on DPInst.exe to do the actual installation. At the time it didn't support 64-bit systems, couldn't update drivers(only missing drivers were installed), didn't provide information about drivers that are available for installation. Users were supposed to click on red mark and hopefully red marks turns into green marks. You can see how it looked back then on Wikipedia.

The software was advertised as being released under GPL. I joined the project in 2009 and put source code at Google Code, so that multiple people could participate in the development at the same time. Over time I made significant contributions such as support for 64-bit systems, changed GUI to displaying list of drivers instead of list of driverpacks, optimizing for speed(indexation of 700MB driverpacks used to take about 6 hours on my PC), added tooltips displaying information about drivers, rewrote driver matching engine(that improved chances of finding the best matched driver and enabled updated old drivers).

However I had some disagreements with its founder(АrtX).
    I was arguing for providing as much information about drivers as possible while АrtX wanted to show users only one big button "Install all". I was opposing keeping records in registry about drivers that failed to be installed, so that DriverPack Solutiоn wouldn't be suggesting installing them again because it deceived users(it looked like drivers were successfully installed). I also opposed stuff like forcing adware on users, changing home pages, OEM logos, loading from the Internet JavaScripts and many other things I'm having trouble recalling.

At one point АrtX decided to make new version available only for users who ordered DVDs with the software. New version was advertised as having brand new driver matching engine, speed improvements, 64-bit support, ability to update drivers, creating log files. All these improvements were made by me and I opposed forcing users to pay for that. I didn't mind АrtX taking all money from DVD sales(it's a good service for people with slow/expensive Internet) for as long as the new version would be available for free. Negotiations didn't go too well. АrtX end up making new version available only via paid DVD.
    Website said it would be released for everyone on March 1st.
    When March 1st came, the note was changed to March 15th.
    When March 15th came, the note was removed all together.
    The new version finally appeared on April 20th but was heavily loaded with adware.

АrtX put the source code into his own private source code repository breaking his promise of being Open Source. I continued working on public repository at Google Code where I made further improvements into its core functionality. SamLab kept updating driverpacks and releasing SamDrivers each month. It included my version of DPS since it was free of adware and it was on the cutting edge at the time. Eventually АrtX merged his private branch back into public Google Code. While it brought some improvements to GUI, it also brought some nasties which included adware and encrypted scripts. It took me same time to clean it up make it easy to disable, so that SamLab could include DPS in his SamDrivers.

As of right now, DPS installs a lot of adware unless users switch to expert mode, go to the software section and uncheck every piece of adware. It’s something that even the most carefull users are likely to miss. Also it should be noted that users from the US and the UK are redirected to a separate version of the site where DPS costs $5 per month. It’s exactly the same version, so they also have to deal with adware.

DriverPack Solutiоn is written in JavaScript. АrtX choose it because he was familiar it. Over years I tried to push it to the limit but JavaScript isn't meant to do heavy lifting and some problems with DPS couldn't be solved without a major redesign. This is why wrote Snappy Driver Installer from scratch in C++ and the rest is history.