Drivers and tools to run Windows XP on newer hardware

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by daniel_k, Apr 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infuscomus

infuscomus MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2020
    @ExtremeGrief

Unfortunately, it seems this is your only option at this point.

PS/2 for peripherals and a SATA DVD ROM should work.

For me, getting a separate USB 3.0 PCI-E card bypassed the problematic USB controller, but you said this freezes for you, so I'm not sure what else to do.

2. diderius6

diderius6 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2020
    #262 diderius6, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    @ExtremeGrief

You can use for XP SP3 Setup
    Firadisk
    or WinsetupfromUSB
    or Rufus
    or win2USB
    or Easy2Boot

Try different(!) USB slots.

Dietmar

PS: At COM1 you can connect a serial mouse.

3. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    I tried Ventoy and Rufus and it's the same. I don't have serial or PS/2 mouse so I guess I am out of luck...

4. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    #264 gregorbednov, Nov 29, 2021
    Hello everyone! I am grateful for returning XP on newer hadrware. But I have an interfering bug: according to WinXP Device Manager, everything works correctly (except Serial non-plug'n'play device), or does not have drivers on it (PCI, Ethernet, audio, VGA, 4 unknown).
    But... USB ports doesn't work! Kernel Framework has been installed, and also USB xHCI controller host + root usb hub.

4 unknown devices, and 2 of them is located in port_#0007.Hub_#0001. (errcode 43). The device is Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IAP.

Best regards, Greg

P.S. Thank you for your work!

UPD: i don't use Integral Edition, I've integrated the ACPI,AHCI drivers manually (ACPI by replacing acpi.sy_, and AHCI using nLite).
    Also I've tried integrate USB and KernelFramework in distribution but it haven't work... After that I've intstalled it in XP

5. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    #265 gregorbednov, Nov 29, 2021
    @ExtremeGrief
    Do you have ability to install FreeDOS using flash stick?

You can install Windows XP x86 from HDD or SSD, and start the Setup from DOS (FreeDOS is highly recommended to use because it supports modern hardware: modern disk volumes, ..).
    -1. Integrating SATA AHCI, acpi.sys in distribution using Integrator (or nLite, or smth else...)
    0. Internal disk (disk C) preparations: FAT32, MBR.
    1. FreeDOS Installation
    2. Copying smartdrv.exe and I386 directory onto C drive. Smartdrv.exe you can find in every DOS programs repository, I386 is main installation directory of any Windows XP installation image. Highly recommended to use LiveUSB/CD modern system (linux, winPE) to copy with maximum speed.
    3. DOS part of installation:
    3.1 smartdrv.exe - enabling Microsoft SMARTDrive disk caching program (need to improve file-copying speed up to acceptable values; without it the Setup works ve-e-e-ery slowly).
    3.2. cd i386 - changing directory to i386. If it is not on root of C:, go full path to i386
    3.3. winnt.exe - starts Setup.
    4. If there is no problem, reboot.Then you will see "Windows XP Installation/Upgrade" boot menu item (and "Previous operating system on C:" menu item to boot using DOS).
    (6. If you want to save dualboot with DOS you shouldn't convert disk to NTFS.)

This way you can install Windows XP from internal HDD/SSD (of course, MBR styled HDD/SSD), but of course it still seems not to work with any USB after installation

6. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    But i still won't be able to use USB after install

7. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    Yes, that's definetely true :( (my last phrase is about that). But just for check, what ACPI,AHCI drivers are compliant to hardware, that everything else is OK, that's working method.

8. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    @gregorbednov

Check that the patched acpi.sys has not been replaced by SFC
    File size should be around 192kb

what is the device ID of your USB3 controller?

9. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    @diderius6

do you think you will be able to purchase a Gigabyte B450M DS3H for testing purposes?

10. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    @infuscomus
    acpi.sys size (according to File Explorer) is 191KB. According to FAR manager, it's 195968 bytes weight (195968/1024=191,375KB). Also acpi.sys is working without BSOD A5 or 0A, and (when laptop works on battery) displays battery power. So, that acpi.sys is definetely correct.

USB3 controller dev id is VEN_8086 DEV_5AA8.(also this dev id displays in Windows 10 PE).

11. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    @gregorbednov

does device manager report any problems with the USB controller?

12. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    @infuscomus

1) No reports - controller works normally, and root hub too. All USB section is clear.
    But in section "(?) Other devices" 3 "unknown devices" are not working with errcode 43, and their Locations are: "Port_#0004.Hub_#001", "Port_#0007.Hub_#001", "Port_#0007.Hub_#001". I'm not sure but maybe that indicates controller and hub generally is ok but working USB hub ports are not. All of them has "ID" called USB\RESET_FAILURE.

2) By the way in section Other devices I've found some parts(?) of ACPI:
    - "Unknown" ACPI\VPC2004\0
    - "Unknown" ACPI\INT 3452\1

13. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    @gregorbednov

I had a similar issue, any device I connected had ID usb\vid_0000&pid_0000

Disabling and re-enabling the USB controller gets it working, but I have to do this every boot.

ACPI\VPC2004 is Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller - I doubt this effects USB.
    ACPI\INT3452 is Intel(R) Serial IO GPIO Host Controller - INT3452 - also not USB related.

14. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    @infuscomus
    I've disabled and re-enabled xHCI USB controller ("disable", "ok", "update device list", "xHCI USB controller select", "enable", "ok") but USB still doesn't work with errcode 43 :(

P.S. They have usb\vid_0000&pid_0001 but it seems that issues are same.

15. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    @gregorbednov

Unfortunatly, it seems we now have a second USB controller that won't behave correctly with the backported USBXHCI driver - we should find a fix for these.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5AA8
    PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_149C

16. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
  17. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    I wonder why some USB controllers behave like this, you'd think it'd all be well understood how the controllers are meant to function and this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

18. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    @infuscomus

1) By the way I've seen on Lenovo russian forum that Windows x64 USB is also not officially supported with my laptop. And that's forum moderators (if USB3 still isn't working) recommends to integrate drivers by Fernando if official drivers don't work (But that's for Windows 7 x64, not for XP of course.)

2) Also I've tried to install Windows XP SP2 instead of Windows XP SP3 VL but there's still the same problem with USB.

19. gregorbednov

gregorbednov MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2021
    @infuscomus

I already installed full and original Windows 8.1 x64 two months ago and then USB3 worked out of the box, so yes, it's available.
    Also I booted many times using multiboot 2k10 ('universal liveusb') flash, USB3 works in Windows PE 8 x86 (native edition; without perks like loading to RAMdisk) and WinPE10 both. No problem with usb on windows 8 I haven't seen yet. (as opposed to Windows 7 PE, which cannot boot without RAMdisk. And with RAMdisk Windows can boot and still cannot see any USB).