Drivers for Win 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Sep 16, 2017.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I installed a fresh copy of Win 7 on an old hard drive. It did not install drivers for the Network Adapter, not for any of the "other" devices. I finally found a driver for the Network Adapter, but every other driver I look for keeps coming up with some piece of crap or another, malware infested installer. All I want is a site that has downloadable drivers that I can get individually. Does anybody know of such a site? I spent several hours now looking with no luck!

jetjock :plane:

P.S. Can anyone say why Windows always fails to load a whole bunch of drivers on install, and then can't seem to locate them on the Web?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Where do you look for drivers if they contain malware? Just look at the support/driver site of the original manufacturer (mobo or oem) and you'll find the correct ones.

3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    It's not the drivers themselves that have malware, it's the installer programs that one has to use to get the drivers. I did get a driver set from Intel, but sometimes it's hard to know just who the manufacturer is for some of these "other" devices. Will try more tomorrow when I I have more time. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No official driver will have malware onboard, and what "other" devices do you mean?

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If you have a name brand pc, get the drivers for your pc from oem manufacture. If you have a custom built pc, then pop the side off and get the model number and possibly the revision number off the board itself and go to that manufacture's site for that motherboard and get all the necessary drivers from them. You can usually find the drivers located in the Support area for that particular model number of your board

6. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
  7. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    #8 jeggg, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    @jetjock

insert the dvd you have , don't run it , go to my comp/properties/device manager and do this-

I hilite the ' unknown device ' , listed under ' other devices ' then select action/update driver software/browse to location of DVD/hilite DVD drive/click ok/next , and it will search DVD for & install the driver.
    But you need driver DVD to do this.

EDIT: basically anything that has yellow flag on it there, hilite and do the above installs
    When you insert the dvd close and dont autorun it

8. Kevin Rosas

Kevin Rosas MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    You know the recommendation to all and similar things, is to download or search the manufacturer's site, to detail the search of the manufacturer, if it does not appear in the list of the page then you can go and verify if the laptop or personal computer is compatible with the operating system you are installing, apparently if you are getting windows 7 is acceptable computer.

9. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    @jetjock You still don't get the message - tell us your exact motherboard model(or laptop model).

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Clueless :D

Missing files are likely your Windows install, maybe it's not up to date (SP1?) C++ etc?

If you download drivers from dodgy sites, you'll get dodgy software, get drivers from manufactures sites, or extract the drivers from the CD and install them manually from device manager

lol

11. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
  12. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a try this morning & get back.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @jetjock, why don't you just answer the most important questions which can instantly solve your driver "issue"? The questions about the exact mainboard brand and model, asked by @jegg and @shhnedo.

14. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #15 jetjock, Sep 17, 2017
    (OP)
    I haven't answered those because I've been busy trying all the other suggestions, none of which have worked! :D I kind of like playing with all the different suggestions trying to learn what works & what doesn't. Failure is frustrating, but it's a good learning tool. The MB is an ASUS A8N32-SL Deluxe. I will check their Website now to see if they have drivers. I tried using the CD that came with the board by pointing each of the missing drivers to it. None of them installed! :(

Oops. That's my old MB. New one is Z-97A

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #16 MrMagic, Sep 17, 2017
    Just use the Vista drivers from the ASUS site

Copy the hardware ID from the details tab of properties from device manager

It'll look something like this
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_150C&SUBSYS_84571043&REV_00

Then google that to find out what the hardware is, then go find the drivers

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    ^^ It's the A8N32-SLI Deluxe (OP missed the I from SLI) but still not on the ASUS site that I can see, unless there is a legacy boards section I can't find

Going to have to google the ID of each missing driver or use a driver magician, shouldn't be too difficult, I've installed newer OSs on older ASUS boards fine before

17. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Please see edited post from my last. That was my old MB. New is Z97A. Really Sorry guys. I must not have a new manual for Z-97. Found MB info via command line.