[Dual-boot] Rafaella+Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wmh, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #41 Antilope, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Install Grub Customizer, a Graphical Editor.

Much easier than editing Grub by hand. Why risk a manual edit and fat-fingering something then ending up and a non-working copy of Grub? To me, it's not worth the risk.

You can easily install it in a terminal session.

From the Linux desktop press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard to open the terminal session.
    When it opens, paste these commands below one by one and press Enter after pasting each command:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:Danielrichter2007/grub-customizer

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Now if you check in Menu, Applications.

Grub Customizer should be there.

Start it up and make any desired changes in boot listings, boot order, even color of menu, etc.

After making all of the desired changes to Grub, make sure to select:

File, Install to MBR

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Grub is not the issue here people.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Hey friend! :cool:

Yes, bootrec should be used on recovering windows boot but I didn't do that third step. I did the two steps Skaendo posted earlier:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot

The third option 'rebuildbcd' I didn't do it. Things are restored now so I suppose it is 'too late' for that extra command, right?

As for the video drivers I ain't going to break them, again, and mess up with boot. :D:eek:

4. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
  5. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Mono has been around for yonks, and vulnerabilities patched along the way - it's only a port of a portion of .Net and does not communicate with the OS (like API's in Windows) - thus it's safe enough.

'Nix based (ELF) executables can be more dangerous, but as usual standard security measures will prevent these from running.

6. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    #46 wmh, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    (OP)
  7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    nstall easybcd in windows.. BCD deployment.. install win7/8 MBR. add linux Grub 2.
    done

8. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Thanks but LoL?

I think you're a bit late. :D

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Latin is one of our revered members ... just say'n...

But yeah, we don't do windows, do we?

10. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Just for gaming. :cool:

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    yrs ago i had issues with sleep wake with grub.. bug fixed tho but i had to use easybcd.

12. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #52 Palladin, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    I just thought I'd post my experience with installing Linux Mint 17.2 and Windows 7 64-Bit Dual Boot setup. My original setup was a 1TB hard drive divided up into three partitions. Boot Partition - 80GB, Backup Partition - 80GB, Archive - 840GB. The drive is formatted MBR. I manually set up the partitions before I installed Windows, so there is no 100MB system partition. The computer is a Dell i5, 3847 with 8GB ram.

I had 40GB free on the Boot Partition so I just shrunk the 80GB boot partition by 20GB and left the 20GB unallocated. Then I made an image of everything using Acronis and after that finished booted Linux Mint 17.2 off a USB stick. When Mint came up, I said install it. It went through several screens, and when it got to the part about the disk partitions, I got a bit worried...sb4/sb6 :confused: I had no clue what any of that meant. But I figured the people that came up with Mint were pretty smart so I just accepted the defaults and hoped for the best.

The installation completed and restarted. The opening screen had a text based menu that defaulted to Linux Mint after a few seconds. Windows 7 was there as an option as were some other diagnostic choices. I just let it boot into LInux and up came the desktop. I fumbled around for a bit and found the Software Update module and let it do it's thing. One more re-boot and I was all set. Total time was less than an hour from start to finish. I don't see how it could have been easier.

Then the big test would be to see if Windows would work. Sure enough when the Windows entry was selected, Win-7 came right up, just as before. I checked the disk configuration and Mint had split up the unallocated 20GB partition into two parts, and left all the Windows partitions exactly as they were. All Blue Bands, no Green extended partitions to worry about. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the case if I had let Windows install a System Partition.

Happily FireFox came pre-installed and accepted all of my add-ons, without any problems. Ad-Block, Ghostery and Classic Theme Restorer all installed and since Mint could mount my Windows partitions, I could get to the Classic Theme Restorer settings file, as well as my FireFox Bookmarks. All came into the Linux version of FireFox without any problems.

The only downside I have found is that while Thunderbird configured easily and could access my GMail account with no problem, it won't import anything from Outlook. I've tried some Linux add-ons, and none of them worked. Seems Thunderbird will only import from Outlook Express, not regular Outlook. I did quite a bit of searching and found nothing but complaints, and no solutions. Running Thunderbird on Windows was worse. The import routine is lame. You get a screen with nothing in it. Kinda like the Windows 10 error message "Something Happened". I'll keep looking for a solution. Maybe even convert my Outlook .pst file to an Outlook Express file. Ugh.

Aside from the Outlook problems I'm very pleased at the end result. Linux Mint installed without a hitch, and the dual boot works flawlessly, Windows 7 was untouched, and Mint works right out of the box.

Now all I have to do is to figure out what the Linux Mint Notepad is called. :p

Attached Files:

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try windows live essentials for live mail 2012.. import from outlook to it and try import from there.
    in the search type edit and youll see what it opens

14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #54 SOCRATE_MMXII, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    The "default" text editor in linux mint is called "nano".

15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    For terminal text editor maybe. There is also "Text Editor" in the Accessories menu. :D

16. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Mint Cinnamon text editor is named gedit.

17. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    Yep, it sure is. And I might say it's a very nice one too. I did a little housekeeping with it when I wanted to edit the HOSTS file and add some entries. And I found an alternate to sudo. (never like that syntax) gksu gedit /etc/hosts

On thing I didn't like about Linux Mint is that Ctrl-C copies text as you would expect, but Ctrl-V to paste the copied text does nothing. Right mouse click and then paste is available. The shift right/left arrow keys on the numeric notepad doesn't highlight text either. You just get a number. :confused: The dedicated arrow keys do however work as expected. Might just be my setup, though.

18. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Ctrl-v works normal here.

19. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    Maybe I should clarify. Copy and Paste works fine here in posting. And when I copy something to gedit it works fine. But it doesn't work when trying to copy from this thread, or gedit to a terminal window.

Maybe you're not supposed to be able to Ctrl-V from gedit to a terminal window. Dunno.

20. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #60 Skaendo, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    I don't know why you are having that problem, like I said Ctrl-v works just fine to and from anything for me.

*Edit that, to paste into terminal from anything is Ctrl+Shift+v. Most terminals have that key combo.