[Dual-boot] Rafaella+Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wmh, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    I find it easier to right-click->open as root on /etc - it will allow sudo editing the containing files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #62 Skaendo, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    That is one thing that I do not really like about Mint, it is too easy to gain root access. It is useful in some situations, but cannot be good for security. That is one of the (very few) reasons that I don't run Linux Mint as my main OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yup, if anything, it should be at file access level - I'll put that to Clem and see what they think.

4. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    That one works fine in the terminal. Thanks for the tip

5. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Great tip. Thanks. :worthy:

Very helpful for a noob like me.

Rather than trying to figure out what each file does, where it is, I can just browse the entire file system, highlight a file, and see what's inside. Better yet, whenever I see something new, I can start up Nemo and search for the file, right click it and take a look.

Saves having to type all that gksu and sudo stuff. Cuts down on the typos as well.

6. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    #66 wmh, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    (OP)
  7. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Please don't. I like it that way. I don't need a crippled admin account just for the sake of security, because some n00bs don't care about security.

@wmh: did that solution work for you?

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    No worries - I also prefer things the way it is...

9. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #69 Antilope, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    "Warning, it has been detected that you have attempted to move the mouse. You don't have sufficient permission to perform this function. Please enter admin password to confirm this action." - :eek: :D

10. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    #70 wmh, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    (OP)
    Yes, it did! :tasty:

I found another issue though. During Mint start up it says it can't mount windows partition and asks if I should skip or do it manually (don't know how to) or wait . If I wait nothing happens and if I press S to skip, the system loads.

Can you help me fix this, please? :mushy:

11. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  12. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
  13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    In GUI:
    Install and/or run dconf-editor. Browse to org -> cinnamon -> desktop - media-handling.
    Check automount-open and automount

In Terminal:
    gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.media-handling automount-open true
    gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.media-handling automount true

14. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
  15. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    I get this error when executing commands in Terminal: /usr/share/themes/Crunchy-orange/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:745: Unable to find include file: "apps/ubuntuone.rc"

16. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I have grub installed with Windows 10 and Mint Cinnamon. Windows 10 is listed first in grub.

During a boot, I wanted to book Mint but didn't catch it fast enough and Windows 10 started booting. I interrupted the boot with CTRL-ALT-DEL to return to the grub menu and booted Mint.

When I got into Mint the Windows 10 NTFS partition would not mount because it said it was in an unstable state due to its boot being interrupted. I went back and rebooted Windows 10 properly and shut it down properly and then a reboot back to Mint and Windows 10 NTFS could then be mounted.

So if you are having trouble mounting Windows NTFS in Linux, it might be because Windows wasn't shut down properly. Go back and do a proper Windows boot and shut down and that may solve a mounting problem.

17. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    I don't know what I did but whatever it was it fixed the not mounting during boot. Maybe it was this proper shutdown you mentioned. :mushy: