Dual boot related

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jime1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Can we make this possible ?

I want windows 7 to be No.1 &
    Ubuntu(or other Linux) to be No.2

Attached Files:

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    easybcd 2.2 ..
    use grub 2 for linux.. and done.

3. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Well Brother..
    I know both of them.. But don't have an in depth knowledge on them.. will you ex-plane me how to do it??
    or just link me to a tutorial..

The thing is.. I tried Ubuntu + win 7 dualboot ..but the ubuntu comes first and then i had to select my win 7 to start win 7(As you would know that already I think)

I just want win7 to be the first boot(boot automatically in 30 sec) and Ubuntu to be the secondary...:)

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I just did a search on YouTube for easybcd and there are some videos showing how to use it.

Try it yourself, it may help.

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    To add, my prefered way of setting up a dual\multi boot is to have each OS on it's own HDD. Then just simply set your prefered OS as first boot in the BIOS. Then pressing F8 ( Asus ) I can easily select a different OS. Then the next and every time the PC boots up it goes straight into your first choice.
    Admitidly this can only work on a desktop, not a lappy.
    Works like a charm.

6. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    That method sounds great !!

But the thing is I only have 1 HDD (500GB)...

And I have win 7 already installed and I don't want to mess it up just to have Ubuntu on my PC..

I was wondering If Ubuntu can be Installed on a separate drive(lets say D:\) ??!

I want to use Win 7 most of the time and then Linux 1s in a while ..:):SmallAwesomeSmiley:

PS: I don't really like the Ubuntu boot menu/screen :puke: . Windows boot screen is good for me as you can see it in the 1'st post on this thread ! :)

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Are we talking desktop ? Sounds like it to me.

If so buy youself a cheap second hand HDD off ebay, or where ever. Unplug the current HDD with win 7 on.
    Plug in the second HDD and load Ubunto onto it. With the win 7 HDD not plugged in no harm can come to it.
    Plug both HDD's in.
    Boot into the BIOS and set the Win 7 HDD as first boot.
    Then when you want to run Linux press the boot option key i.e, F8 and select the Linux HDD.

Nice and simple. Each OS on seperate drives. The dont interferer with each other.
    Job done.

To test this a while back I had Win 7, XP, Linux and MAC OS X on a multi boot with each OS on seperate drives.

All worked, no problems what so ever.

Hope this helps.

8. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    go in to msconfig and make win 7 the default

9. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    That is some good advice man..:cool: will try it when I will install Ubuntu/mint :)