dual boot vista windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by martyn, Jul 3, 2009.

1. martyn

martyn MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2009
    Hello

bit of advise needed i am setting up a dual boot pc, vista already installed, creating a partition for windows 7, do i create an active or primary or logical partition for the dual boot to work.

basic question i know

but if you dont ask you dont learn

thanks a lot

martyn

2. itlvk

itlvk MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    you can create partition Primary/Logical for Win 7 all OK. When you Install Win 7, It'll create boot from C:\ and It'll detect boot existed from C:\

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Win 7 wiil do it for you. a boot menu wiil br created.
    Just remember when boot to win7 that partition will be C: drive.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #4 HMonk, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    First off active and primary are two different entities. Active partitions are those that are able to be booted from. Only primary partitions can be booted from, therefore, your boot partition must be a primary partition. You can only have one active partition on a HDD although you can have up to four primary partitions on a HDD. If you place two OSs on two primary partitions on the same HDD, you can switch back and forth between the two by changing which one is the active partition - not that you would want to do that. Extended and logical partitions, therefore, cannot be set as active partitions.

If you want, you can create one primary partition on a HDD, then an extended partition and then you can divide the space within the extended partition by creating logical partitions. Beware however, the logical partitions are in a sense offspring of the extended partition: if the extended partition bricks, so do all of the logicals. To me, the only reason to create extended/logical partitions is if you want more than four partitions on one HDD. Remember that one HDD can only contain four primary partitions. But you can create one, two, or three primary partitions, then use the rest of the drive to create extended/logical partitions.

I always create only primary partitions, if only because I have no need to create more than four partitions per HDD. In my view, if you do not want to create more than four partitions per HDD, there simply is no reason to enjoy the limitations of extended and logical partitions.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    @ martyn

if you wish, you can use easeus partition master to manage your HDD partitions. please PM me if you wish to download it.

6. martyn

martyn MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2009
    Thanksss

thanks guys for your assistance, i set the new partition to a primary partition, and i now have dual boot options..

thanks again

Martyn