Dual Boot W 8 and W8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kiwig, Apr 14, 2014.

1. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Hello

I did update the W8 system to W 8.1 a couple of days ago through the store. It worked fine till I wanted to use my CAD software. It spit the dummy. I did not want to install again(as some other stuff wasn't working well either) in the updated version of W8 so I used an image to get back to W8.
    I am thinking now to dual boot 8 and 8.1, install all the programs I need in w8.1(in the spare time) and then start work in W8.1 and delete W8.
    How well do those two systems work side by side? Has anyone here done that? Has anyone removed the old system afterwards?
    Would be nice to hear? :)

2. leomate

leomate MDL Junior Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Just make another partition for each OS, i can make Multiboot system with XP, XP 64bit, Vista SP2, Windows 8 7850, Windows 8 RTM, and Windows 8.1 Without any problem.

I do that for my hobbies :D

3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    When you post a guess and the guess is wrong, you mislead and confuse people.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The basic method is to install to two different partitions.
    While both system partitions have a letter assigned to them, you run bcdboot pointed at the latest install and as long as both system partitions are available, it will fix your boot entries to list them both.

If you have both installed and it's only booting one, simply open admin prompt and run: bcdboot c:\windows

5. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Thanks for your support!:clap:and generally for your input in this forum.
    I have installed 8.1 and the setup runs smoothly.
    In the near future, when all is installed in 8.1.1 I am possibly removing 8. That'll be another little adventure.:thinking: