dual boot win7/win8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dumble, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    That's what I was telling him/her at post #61.

2. motwera

motwera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    i actually dual-booted windows 8 with windows 7 by installing it from the sources folder setup.exe instead of the autorun one

3. UVAIS

UVAIS MDL Expert

Mar 17, 2011
    Check PM:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cego

Cego MDL Junior Member

Nov 24, 2009
    thanks to ODY123 and stonyi1, it worked perfectly! :D

regards!

5. stonyi1

stonyi1 MDL Junior Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Did something with easy bcd today, I created a vhd extracted the wim file onto it. then I set it as bootable with easybcd 2.1. When the bootmenu came up after restarting it was there as 8201 which is what I named the vhd. So I selected it and WDP booted up, and is running exactly like it does on a physical disk.

6. darkomano

darkomano MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2011
    To change between old style Windows 7 boot menu and Windows 8 Developer Preview look:

"old" Windows 7 style
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

new Windows 8 look
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

both commands executed on command prompt with elevation (admin privileges)

If you want to edit or just view the complete contents of BCD (Boot Configuration Data) use
    "Visual BCD Editor" - download from internet after search (I cannot post links as less than 20 posts)

7. drsood

drsood MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    i tried this...and it actually works...thnx :biggrin:

8. weezul

weezul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    just thought I would pop back in to say, today out of nowhere my hard drive booted from the Windows 8 Loader instead of the Win7 one so it must be on there somewhere. I honestly have no way of explaining this as i tried to install Win8 like two weeks ago. And there were three listings for win8, the three which all failed last time. After chosing one, the computer restarted and now I have my three options back, Win8, Pro Tools, and Win7. Bliss. Apart from Windows8 is driving me mad. When I open an app in Metro, how the hell can I close it? No ESC, no Alt+f4. I was truly lost :( haha. This one's bizzare and I still don't know the reason for it. Heck, I'll probably restart tomorrow and be back to my regualr Bootloader never to see Win8 again

9. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    I agreed that this build is buggy, especially the metro apps. Keys that are useful for this build are the win+d keys, it'll let you go back to the desktop, from there you can open the task manager and end your application(s).

10. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    My dual booting (x6) rig will have whatever boot menu showing up depending on which OS I choose as the default OS to boot from, either Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    That's how I can easily change boot menu, I prefer the Windows 7 BM myself.
    I use DBP 1.1 to change, etc. the defaults OS.

11. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    What is DBP?