Dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LM3, Aug 21, 2017.

1. LM3

LM3 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I know that somewhere on My Digital Life there are detailed instructions.

Where???

2. digitaljake

digitaljake MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2017
    that was awesome, i remember lately that there was a shop in my neighbor that have dual operating system.. it was win98 and winXP.. because when we play counter strike, the game was smooth flow of textures at win98 os..

just sharing the experience..

3. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Main use here, is testing installation.

Charl

4. ihatecracks

ihatecracks MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2017
    Use EasyBCD to do so

5. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Win 10 does not always play nice with dual boot
    when you choose win 10 at the boot menu, use it, then shut down
    when you reboot it thinks you will never want to boot win7 again
    so it does not give you the boot menu.

The trick is to then select shutdown restart.
    it will then give you the boot menu.

...T

6. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    are we talking laptop or desktop ?

If desktop, would it be easier to install the OS's on different drives ?

Set the main OS drive as first boot, then to boot into the other OS boot into BIOS and select drive or in Asus's case, press F8 and select drive.

7. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    I would use Boot It Bare Metal 1.40 and it works great.. For laptop, you can use two partitions, One for Windows 7(has to do this first) then 2nd Partition is Windows 10.. You can use Boot It Bare Metal tools on 1 HDD. Now if you have Desktop, you can split more than 2+ hard each OSes what you choose. Good luck!

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Atm i am running a dual boot win 7SP1 ulti and 10 15063.608 pro (on same ssd, separate partitions), not used any 3rd party tools, all runs fine :)

9. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    My only advice would be that on a machine using UEFI boot, you should install Windows 10 first, shrink the Windows C:\ system partition accordingly, format the unallocated space NTFS, then install Windows 7 on the new partition. That's what worked for me. On a machine using MBR boot it probably wouldn't matter which one is installed first. As Enthousiast stated, no third party tools are needed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    why advising to install first win10 on UEFI system ? it should be the same as BIOS system, doesn't matter which one it is installed first, it should work.
    i've already tested this on bios system and it worked, either with win10 installed first or not, both windows versions booted successfully later whatever windows installation order, and it should be the same procedure on UEFI system, why would this change on UEFI system ?

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Just change the boot order in msconfig before rebooting into the other OS

12. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    It's because Windows 7 was never intended to work with UEFI. You can try to install Windows 7 first on a UEFI machine, but you have to take some extraordinary measures to do so. By comparison, Windows 8/8.1/10 were designed to be compatible with UEFI, and there's no problem at all. I'm only recommending the easiest way to do it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    With CSM enabled, win 7 is easily installed on UEFI, x64 only though.

14. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    #15 mehdibleu, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    i confirm that with legacy boot enabled, win7 can be installed with UEFI system, i've just tested this and it worked as it should be the same way as if you do it on Bios system, installed win7 first then win10 and both booted successfully.

15. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    This is my personal procedure to make a dual/3/4/5/any boot in EFI mode:

01.- Grab your Windows 10 install disk and run the installation.

02.- Get to the part where you can partition your HD and delete all the partitions that you have, leaving only unallocated space.

03.- Make a new partition without specifying an actual size. You'll notice that the system created 4 partitions, the first 3 are created by default and the 4th one is yours to do as you please. *DON'T MESS WITH THE FIRST 3 PARTITIONS!*

04.- Delete the 4th partition ONLY. You should be looking at three partitions and a big bunch of unallocated space in your HD.

05.- Select the unallocated space and make a new partition, this time specifying the size in MB.

*Let's suppose that you want to make a 50 GB partition. Just multiply 50 x 1024 and you'll have the number that you have to enter in the size field. In this case it will be 51200. If you want a 100 GB partition, the number will be 102400 and so on.*

06.- At this point, you should be looking at 4 partitions and a bunch of unallocated space remaining in your HD, so select the unallocated space again and make another partition, repeating the process in step 5.

07.- We should now be looking at 5 partitions and, depending on the size that you gave to partitions 4 and 5 and the actual size of your HD, you could probably have some unallocated space remaining. If you do, you can use it to make another partition for a third OS or, as in my case, use it strictly as a common storage partition between the two OS' that you'll install. If you want to use it as a storage partition, just create it and don't specify a number, this way, you'll use all of the remaining unallocated space.

08.- Now that your HD is partitioned exactly to your liking, QUIT the windows 10 installation entirely and boot your windows 7 install disk.

*Why? Because of the first 3 partitions that are created by default: Windows 7 makes a special partition that's only 100 MBs but Windows 10 requires that same partition to be 500 MBs, so we use the Win 10 disk to do the partitioning.*

09.- Install Windows 7 in partition 4. Update it and configure it to your liking.

10.- Install Windows 10 in partition 5. Update it and configure it to your liking.

That's it! You have a dual boot.