Dual boot windows 8.1 and upgraded windows 10 clone

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GvIn2it!, Sep 8, 2015.

1. GvIn2it!

GvIn2it! MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2013
    My proposal is to clone my 8.1 hard drive, disconnect it. upgrade the clone to windows 10, put my 8.1 hard drive back in the system, then boot either one i want. Does anyone know if this will work, or does windows 10 deactivate 8.1? If so, is there a workaround? I intend to leave windows 10 just sitting there until I need it and run 8.1 since I have it set up and running WMC perfectly. And please, don't answer with a diss of WMC. I don't want to waste any more time trying to install other dvr's that don't work or require hours of configuration.

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #2 odiebugs1, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    I don't think you need to do that, just follow this- 1aa Upgrade problem -here and then add the other HDD, clean install 10 and use the trick I posted to activate, and you'll have a dual boot, just adding another drive, plugged into Sata, she will only boot from the first install either MBR or UEFI boot record.

So you add the other drive, then run the win 10 ISO, and make sure you install to that drive only (make sure ), after you read the trick and know you need to get the 10 ISO and run the trick on win 8.1.

I'm pretty sure you must install the 8.1, placing the clone on the board won't add a dual boot, this is why you need to have the 8.1 on the system and then install 10 to another drive or partition.

You could add the clone and use easyBCD, but I would just clean install the 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...