Dual boot-Windows 8.1 Preview

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by windows8lover, Jul 25, 2013.

1. windows8lover

windows8lover MDL Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Can you dual boot with Windows 8.1 Preview and OS X 10.8

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I find the easiest and best way to do any dual boot is to have the OS's on separate drives.

Install the first OS with only that drive in connected. Remove drive.

Install the second OS on it's own drive with only that drive connected.

Replace all drives and then boot up into the BIOS and set the first boot to your OS you tend to use the most.

Make sure all boots well.

Then use the F8 or F12 buttons at boot screen to select the other OS of your choice when desired.

This may sound a bit long winded but I find it works perfectly and I have never had any issues and I have done Windows XP and 7. Windows 7 and 8...Windows 7 and MAC OS X.. All work perfectly.

3. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    sound like a lot of work to me, 1.) had windows 8 x64 Enterprise installed 2.) burnt Windows 8.1 Preview to USB. boot to USB chose empty HDD or Partition to Clean install 8.1 on. made sure 8.1 was selected on ea Required Reboot... (final boot to 8.1) logo X - chose Command Pmt as Admin - run msconfig - add default boot to ( my choice) set time to display 5s so now I have the option to chose which ever OS I want on BOOT... I have never had a problem with any Dual Boot with this Method or even the Triple Boot.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

Yep it is a bit long winded I must admit.

My case helps me out a lot though. I dont have to get into it to access my drives. They just simply slide out of the front.
    So probbley your method would be better and easier.

;)

5. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    tnx, I use the same method that you described. It is more work at first but it does make it easier when I want to format the test OS drive.

6. denisw705

denisw705 MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2010