Dual Boot XP OEM and Windows 7 SLIC 2.1 ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Bluescreen, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I apologize if my question has already been answered.

I would like to install a Dual Boot XP Pro OEM on my PC modded with SLIC 2.1 for Windows 7 Ultimate. (Already installed).
    Question : Does XP will be activated if the BIOS has SLIC 2.1 and not 1 ?

If not, witch is better solution for me ? :confused:

Thanks. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sushil1576

sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Both XP and Windows 7 use different types of OEM activation..So you can activate both xp and windows 7 with OEM activation without any problem...

For activating xp ,you must havve slp strings in your bios and matching oembios filesets..Just check with oembios.exe whether you have slp strings in your bios..IF you are using a branded system like DELL or HP ,I am sure you will have slp string in your bios..IF you don,t have slp strings then just use DMI boot CD from the stickies to tatoo your system with hp slp strings...

For more information just read the stickies..

3. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    #3 Bluescreen, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You could have just added the Gigabyte SLIC code and used the OEM "GIGABYTE" for both activations..I like to keep the OEM SLP as close to board manufacturer as possible, but it is largely preference.

You have a few options at this point...Enjoy!!

5. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks you very much for this information 911medic. :)
    So I won't use the DMI tool. I will install XP as recommended, but first I will Image my C: Partition where Win7 is installed. I do not want to mess the Boot loader and MBR. I Use ShadowProtect to do that. This is the perfect Backup/Restore solution which will correct the Boot sequence for WinXP and Win 7.
    Thanks for your help. ;)

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Newest mobo's and older ones from +/- 2 years ago already have a Gigabyte SLP string attached in the bios....just saw it on my board before i even modded it.

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Best way is to install XP first, You can install the XP over W7 and use easyBCD to edit BCD. you can just repair the mbr with W7 DVD after XP install..

8. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    Success ! .. Windows 7 was installed since July 2009. I have made an image, then installed XP Pro SP3 and used easyBCD to repair the MBR. Also have to edit boot.ini to keep my Boot sequence order. :)
    I have made all XP upgrades using WU without a glitch (WGA include at first as requested by WU).. ;)
    Thank you.