dv9000 intel with phoenix bios recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dschmill, Oct 2, 2014.

1. dschmill

dschmill MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    hello
    I have a dv9000 Intel with phoenix bios. I tried to winflash the bios but it went horribly wrong.
    now it beeps loud 3 times continually.
    I've been reading and trying different methods to recover the bios but no success.
    I'm trying it with a 1 gig usb. formatted fat32, loaded these files .
    Autoexec.bat. (echo off phlash16.exe /x /s bios.WPH) PHLASH16.EXE. bios.wph.
    bios.wph (replaced with the .wph file from the bios from hp winflash. SP38012
    did the windows key+b, fn+b, all 4 arrows let it run beeping for 15 min but nothing happened.

I tried the CRISIS software using windows xp sp2 but when it ran the wincris.exe file the project path and the browse button are grayed out so the program won't work.

any help would greatly be appreciated
    thanks

2. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    When you run WinCrisis, make sure that the BIOS WPH lives in your WinCrisis directory. That works, and it *should* set up your USB stick. Be warned, at least one other user has had that program format his HD instead of his USB.

I have a dv6000 that's failed also. When in the recovery do you use the four arrows method? After the Win+B single beep? Or while machine is booting?

FWIW, my machine only does the single beep when I have the USB plugged into the left hand side. That's where the motherboard is. The one over by the power is on a separate board, so maybe that's why it doesn't single beep.

Is the Beep pattern Long-short-short repeating? I've heard that means video failure. You weren't playing with the video settings in the BIOS, were you? Mine makes that Long-short-short sound when I attempt to enter recovery without any USB sticks inserted. With USB, I just get a single beep (even though it doesn't scan the floppy or USB stick at all). Any advice appreciated.

3. dschmill

dschmill MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    I got wincrisis to work using virtual box running xp. it put the files on the usb.
    i'm using the usb on the left. put my BIOS WPH file in did the windows b and 4 arrows separately . holding down keys power 1 second wait till it beeps let keys up.
    let it try for 15 min still didn't work.
    Beep pattern is Long-short-short repeating. with or without usb in. I didn't do anything to the video settings. just tried to update bios.
    thanks

4. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    What version of the BIOS worked before you tried to update? That's your best bet to reflash to. Does your computer read the USB at all? There's a YouTube video that shows the beeps a flashing computer makes. It should vary, it shouldn't be the same long-short-short pattern.

For me, it was F.27 - but I had a dv6700 (dv6768se) with (supposedly) a GeForce 8600 256MiB RAM (although the system specs say GeForce 8400 256MB RAM). I couldn't get the video card to properly detect. I wonder if the previous owner tweaked the BIOS to get the card to display 8600 and when I reflashed it - busted it.

5. dschmill

dschmill MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    hi
    i'm trying the bios that was working, f.29. it seems to me it never sees the usb. some of the instructions even say a usb may not work. I think i'm going to get an external floppy and see if that will work before I get a different mb.

6. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    You may want to save your money. The motherboards with the Nvidia 6000 series run about $50, the 7000 series about $60, and the 8000 series about $100. However, all of the 7000/8000 series have a serious bug that make them practically melt off of the board. If you use copper shims and a fan under your laptop, don't run it on your bed/lap/carpet, etc... you may be able to mitigate that somewhat.

Honestly, though, I'd cut and run. Sell the unit to a refurbisher for $50 to $75 (or sell it yourself on eBay), and use the $$ to fund a refurbished i3 for about $200 or spend a bit more ($400) for a reasonable refurb Dell Latitude E6410 (Core i5, Windows 7 x64, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HD, 15"). And get a Dell or an Acer or even a Gateway/eMachine (watch for bad Cold Cathodes with those). HPs from this time period are toxic. The newer HPs look nice, but look at all the people in this forum recently with bricked laptops by an HP update. Buyer beware.

I do miss the 1280x800 resolution - I hate the 1/2HD 15" (1366x768), but the alternative is 15" full HD 1920x1080 - and on a 15" will give you some severe eyestrain. Been there, done that. I miss the WSXGA 1680x1050 - that was just perfect for 15" laptops. Pretty rare nowadays.