Dvd is not there anymore on a Asus x55u

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lievre, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
  2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #102 lobo11, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    I have seen this 100 times, why reinstall before trying repair options:confused:

At least give people the choice:D

If you do not know what they are copy/paste this into notepad and save it to your desktop
    man:
    This can take a while
    In ADMIN Cmd Prompt Type

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

When you use the /CheckHealth argument, the DISM tool will report whether the image is healthy, repairable, or non-repairable. If the image is non-repairable, you should discard the image and start again. If the image is repairable, you can use the /RestoreHealth argument to repair the image.
    If image is repairable:

If you have an install.wim file
    With ISO Media in CD/DVD tray: (The same media you installed image with) Type in ADMIN Cmd Prompt Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:M:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    press enter on keyboard, wait for it to finish--M would be drive letter of your CD/DVD tray, remember to change M to your CD/DVD drive letter. Reboot

If you have an install.esd file
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess
    Then reboot

(USB from Media Creation Tool where E is drive letter of USB)
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess
    E would be the drive letter of USB stick, reboot

After that in ADMIN CMD Prompt run sfc /scannow
    is just to make sure all is well.

Be aware that if you have modified your system files as in theming explorer/system files, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state. Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    the guy has tried everything suggested nothing has work for him.

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #104 lobo11, Feb 13, 2016
    I'm not just talking about this post, it's alot of time and work to reformat, please let them try some repair options first, OK:worthy:

100 times does not mean just this post:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
  6. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    #106 makin.ditch, Feb 13, 2016
    I agree there is something that's been overlooked. I seen this thread long ago and fully expected the problem to be the upper and lower filters in the registry. In fact I never even bothered to read this thread because I expected it to be resolved immediately. IMHO, It is difficult to troubleshoot without many details, a simple "I tried that and didn't work" is often not enough. Everybody has different levels of computer skills. Perhaps I've misread something myself but there definitely seems to be many details missing here, too many assumptions on both sides. He may need more detailed directions and some of the people with suggestions may need to give more specific instructions. I may get some grief from both sides for this and perhaps I deserve that

1) I read that he never found the upper and lower filters in the registry, perhaps they weren't there or perhaps he was looking in the wrong place in the registry? Perhaps he could do a search of the registry and confirm that? ( I originally really expected this)
    2) He said he did a clean reinstall and that didn't work. Did he in fact reformat and do a fresh clean reinstall or did he simply perform another upgrade? Sometimes a language barrier can make a world of difference.
    3) I believe he mentioned that he had the ability to boot from the cd drive but had issues to get it to boot from the hard drive afterwards? I found that of particular interest. I'd be curious, has he tried to boot install media from that drive? He has only mentioned USB. If so, can the installation program see his hard drive? Perhaps he is running only one SATA channel due to a hardware failure or a bios setting and is only able to see either the optical drive or hard drive but not both? If so he could go into the bios and 'reset to default settings" or browse through to find some settings for the SATA and/or try booting a Windows install disk (or Linux for that matter) from the optical drive and see if the computer hardware itself is actually working properly, see if the installation media can find the hard drive. The cd drive simply spinning and making noise won't be enough information. That only tells us it has power.
    4) Read and follow Simple's post above. In the linked thread there are some very specific instuctions

7. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Easiest way to get that information is by opening device properties / details in device manager, and looking at the values for the "device stack" property. That not only gives you the device and class filters, but also the underlying bus driver.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Guys and dolls, the OP has already jumped ;):D

9. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
  10. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    You are saying that it works under Windows 8.1... Then we all assume Hardware is fine.. But there may be Firmware or Software incompatibility.

I am going to say something I am quite sure you have tried, but I will..
    Ensure you have the latest BIOS and you have the latest DVD Firmware.. Restore default BIOS settings.. Disconnect the DVD and reconnect it with Windows on and check the behavior..

I wish you luck..

11. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Yep the bios is up to date (the latest one). I cannot update the dvd firmware, because the dvd is not there. When i try to update it, "no dvd found".
    Cannot physically disconnect the dvd (like i said in earlier post, have to unmounted all the laptop).

Thank you anyway.

Lievre

12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Nah, he means well with that post; mine was way more offensive.

And we're supposed to take your word for that? If the SATA controller driver requires manual installation, as has been reported by others, how are we supposed to know whether you have actually tried to do a manual driver install or whether you consider double-clicking the installer .exe "EVERYTHING" there can be done?
    We don't, unless you tell us in detail about what you have actually tried to do.

13. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    :worthy:Nop of course not:worthy:.

I did try to install both ways, double clicking and manual even try compatible mode!!! :eek:

And i cannot write everything i did :po_O:(:rolleyes: way to long. Almost as long as my life!!!!:D

And maybe i misread it. Sorry:tea:

Lievre

14. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    #115 Simple07, Feb 13, 2016
    I also presume that you have tries Windows TH1, TH2 and RS1... and they all have the same results..

This part does not make sense,, all you need is to boot a windows something or another (PE 7, 8,,) from a USB, that can see the DVD and update the firmware if you have a newer firmware!!!

Ah, I just recalled something, why don't you boot into Windows 8.1 and find the Hardware ID of your DVD and check what drivers are needed for Windows 10... I did have an issues with a printer which Windows 10 identified it as something else, I also recall a similar issue with someone's network card.. This is usually (but not always) helped by downloading and installing the manufacturer's chipset drivers for the device..

Any way, it is horrible when you have an issue like this, but I think you will sort it at the end..

15. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    #116 makin.ditch, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    I do apologise

. I see from your recent posts you have in fact reformatted. You could update the drive firmware as suggested before me through either windows 8 or downloading a Windows PE bootable disk, couldn't you? The hardware ID mentioned a couple posts ago should still be available even if the device has a big question mark under properties in device manager.

Did you both install those latest APU drivers, then force the SATA drivers,

you have obviously gone to the AMD support site and did the auto detect drivers thing and download and install from there? I wouldn't suspect that the ones on the ASUS site are the latest. Again try downloading the latest and if needed force the SATA drivers. Windows may not automatically install the AMD ones if they are dated older than the Microsoft ones even though the Microsoft ones obviously don't work.

Definitely sounds frustrating, I hope you find success!

Two more suggestions, manually download drivers from Windows update, extract them and install them, AMD often has their chipset drivers bundled with the graphics drivers don't they? I could be wrong. search the hardware IDs for your SATA chipset as well as for your graphics then download and extract them manually.

Install them and then if needed force the SATA drivers as suggested earlier. You can search Windows update from catalog.update.microsoft.com. You can search both by name as well as hardware ID.

The SATA drivers may not automatically install if the Microsoft drivers bundled with Windows has a newer date

Years ago I had success with AMD by politely emailing their support team, giving them specific information and although they never specifically emailed me back they did put out one last release of Windows 7 compatible drivers (The hardware was considered "Legacy" even then) that solved my issues I had at the time. I everything else I suggested fails try emailing AMD support?

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    just wait for the next release.....the magic mite kick in.....maybe is something with this build hardware doesnt like.

17. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    #118 100, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Apparently you can't even tell us whether the manual driver install succeeded or failed. Hell, you're not even telling us what driver you actually have installed for the SATA controller.

So, if you want to get anywhere with this, I am asking you to do the following:
    1. Run the following command on PowerShell:
      Code:
      Get-PnpDeviceProperty -InputObject (Get-PnpDevice -Class hdc) | ft -AutoSize | Out-String -Width 4096 > "$env:userprofile\desktop\__hdc__.txt"
    2. Find the file named "__hdc__.txt" on your desktop
    3. Post the contents of that file to a text file host such as pastebin.com
    4. Post a link to that here.

See, I'm willing to help you out here, but if you're not going to cooperate I'm not going to bother.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #119 MS_User, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

dude your not reading...he install the driver from vendor site Lenovo. he does not use a individual sata driver...hes is included in chipset drivers.

19. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    #120 makin.ditch, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    The Vendor has old outdated drivers, AMD and Windows update may have newer ones, in fact supposedly designed for Windows 10
    In my post I pointed out that if the Microsoft drivers that aren't working are dated newer than the AMD ones they may not automatically install. They may have to be manually installed. It's been said here many times.