Easiest method of cloning Windows 7 OS Install to a larger HDD?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by antispam246, May 25, 2010.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #21 acyuta, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Can someone pls. help me with this prob in Acronis TIH 2010:
    1. backed up my Enterprise c: and sys. reserved.
    2. installed Acronis to see what it was about. Wanted to try the `try and decide'.
    3. restored image in 1 without uninstalling acronis in 2.
    4. problem: after sys. repair completed and PC restarted, still had my sys. repair disc in. Got this message: boot from cd..., then start acronis loader... Hung on that and no progress.
    5. had to reformat the disk.
    6. Acronis clearly sits on the HDD and win 7 backup restore cannot remove that. That could be reason for the error message. Any particular solution to this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you have another computer install acronis on that and make acronis bootable rescue cd, and boot from that.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #23 acyuta, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Of course, reformating the c: and sys. reserved solved the problem. I do have the acronis boot disk. The point is win 7 sys. image restore (original image had no acronis) should have cleared out all traces of acronis.
    Nevertheless, the try and decide feature of acronis seems valuable to me.

Now the query on this thread.
    Suppose I make a sys. image on day 1 based on an existing HDD.
    Someday later, I want to migrate this image to a new HDD.
    Should this be the process:
    On the new HDD, Create partitions for c: and sys. image that are as close in size to original c: and sys. image
    Disconnect all hard disks except the new HDD and the external HDD on which sys. image resides.
    Insert sys. repair disc and carry on from there, and hope that win. 7 images the existing install on the new HDD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Zombie

Zombie MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2010
    With command line tool 'dd'. www dot chrysocome dot net/dd

List your drives with 'dd --list', then double check the drive numbers ( is your C the drive \\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 etc ?) with diskmgmt.msc just to be sure. And then perform the copy

dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=4M --progress

DO NOT ENTER THIS COMMAND UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IT WILL DO. YOU NEED TO CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK THE DEVICE NAMES, WHICH PHYSICAL DISK THEY CORRESPOND TO.

Note: Partition0 always means full drive. The resulting copy will not work any which way due to windows drive lettering. So, you have to perform the copy with your current installation as where the drive is now (physical internal slot 0), and the empty drive as 1. After copying you need to swap the resulting copy to the place of the current drive. If you try to boot to it in another slot/bus, it may work, but you may also get a world of problems, as Windowses are very allergic to the boot drive letter changing (and even if the letter wouldn't change in theory, Windows may think it did simply because it's in a new physical slot now).

Just be very very careful with the drive numbers because if you accidentally copy FROM the empty drive, you are sure to lose your data. ***There is no undo.***

5. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Acronis image 10 will do it. from drive to drive. i did it from a 160 gb to a smaller 60 gb when i sold my loptop. just install it and go. follow steps. when i did it the 160 was internal. I used the 60 via usb enclosure. then swapped em out moving 60 to laptop and 160 to enclosure for me too keep. .

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #26 acyuta, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #27 acyuta, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    I downloaded the WDC Align tool iso (by Acronis) and booted from it. I have 2 WDC HDD one of which is Green and the other the recently purchased Caviar Black. I always thought that the Black was the AFD. But Acronis recognised the Green one and gave me the option to align only that.

Recent check showed that perhaps only WD Green and Blue have AF technology and specifically the model that I bought: WD1002FAEX does not incorporate AF.

8. TheGreatDl

TheGreatDl MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2010
    Paragon works nicely, as you can clone the pc while windows is running, if you need to.

9. provaid82

provaid82 MDL Novice

May 5, 2009
    nice very good 10x