ei.cfg question

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by uffbros, Apr 27, 2013.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ok I have researched for hours and have tried a few cfg examples and they didn't work for me. Here is what I want to do. I bought a new HP computer and it came with Win 8 Pro. I made media to boot from a USB device via UEFI. I want to add a ei.cfg to the sources folder so it asks me which version I want to install as in Core or Pro. I do many clean installs and want the option to choose. I am using an OEM or is it a VL version as it installs on store bought(HP,Dell,Ect). What would I want in my ei.cfg file? Also do I need to make windows show extensions other wise it saves as ei.cfg.txt. Can someone type up what I want in my ei.cfg file for my above mentioned scenario. Thanks.

2. ace2

ace2 Guest

This is _Default:

[Channel]
    _Default

[VL]

This is OEM:

[Channel]
    OEM

[VL]

This is Volume:

[Channel]
    Volume

[VL]

NOTES:

DO NOT ADD [EditionID] THIS IS SO YOU CAN CHOOSE Core OR Pro (YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE ABOVE THEY ALL WILL WORK)

SAVE AS ei.cfg AND NOT ei.cfg.txt

REMOVE ANY pid.txt FILE FROM sources Folder.:D

Works with Win8 & Win8.1

3. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Thank you so much..That worked.

4. ace2

ace2 Guest

You are welcome.;)

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Careful bud, you're not supposed to mess with OEM system partitions in win8.
    If you accidently delete the restore partition, you might have some problems.
    I know the info is supposed to be stored in the bios, but I've had reports from users that have tried installing on their OEM systems saying retail images don't accept the activation.

6. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I pulled the serial before I did this. But I had no problem. It auto installed the key with no intervention from me.

7. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    I want to reformat a computer with Windows 8 of manufactures with uefi bios, I want to format and install Windows seven by mbr, will work?thanks

8. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm not sure. It depends if your computer's bios supports legacy booting. If not, you can probably clear the UEFI modules so that it will boot into win7.
    I'm sort-of speculating there. I've never actually done anything like that on a win8 system. Just be careful, because if you do decide to do that, by the time you are done, you might never be able to go back.

9. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Yes Murphy is bios with security boot, I disable the uefi on the bios, run a cd Windows pe and partition in mbr/ntsf, right? After done, I run seven dvd, format and install, right? my friend is the pc, he don't like the Windows 8, and Windows 7 either.thanks

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #10 murphy78, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Like I said... never done it before, but that could probably do it. Just know that if you do choose to do that, win8 might never be able to work again on that system without using kms or something...

the proper sequence in the windows setup would be press shift-f10 to bring up console; then:

Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk X (where x is the desired disk)
    clean
    convert mbr
    exit
    exit
    Be careful man, and warn your friend that it's likely a one-way trip.