End of an Era: Legendary guitar maker Gibson about to close

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Katzenfreund, May 9, 2018.

1. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I'm glad GM is still around. As I mentioned in my first post here, bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean that a company will dissolve and go out of business. It's a chance to reorganize.

GM's white knight to save them was the government, yes. And if there are fools willing to buy $65k trucks, I'm sure GM (and Ford) is very happy to sell them at those prices. :D

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Yup... Ford is making so much cash on Trucks & SUV's that they no longer need to make cars, The only car Ford will be making will be the Mustang. I do not know for sure but I'm thinking it takes less materials and labor to build a truck than it does a car

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    If Ford would've announced on April 1 that they were ending production of cars (except Mustang), I would've 100% thought it was an April Fool's joke. It's still hard to believe.

But after reading a little on it, apparently Ford is just the first and that other manufacturer's will probably do it also since most people are now are buying crossovers, trucks and SUVs. People want vehicles where they sit up higher. The market for sedans has dried up apparently. There has always been a higher profit margin in trucks/SUVs so that was a factor too. But to hear Ford announce it was surprising.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Chrysler or what ever name they are going by now (they are like whores, they jump onto anybody that'll take them) announced they are cutting back on car production too, it's the end of the Chrysler 200 and some others, but I did not follow up on that when I first heard it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Joe C: I'm not sure why anybody would've ever bought a Chrysler 200 to begin with, so I'm not surprised it's going away. A lot of big changes in the auto industry. Probably a lot more bigger changes will be happening if self-driving cars really take off.

---
    On topic: saw something on local news today about Fender aggressively marketing toward women. Makes sense that they'd do that.

Here's the clip, if anybody wants to see it:

6. bornoffire

bornoffire MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2015
    The reality is more people buy $500 dollar guitars than a model costing ten times that amount. Even PRS realized selling only expensive USA made guitars is a losing endeavor.