Enterprise customers with new CPUs will require Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Garbellano, Jan 16, 2016.

1. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I don't know if the cow is holy or not and I could care less, but M$ stated it will provide CRITICAL UPDATES to Windows 7 until 2020. To me, CRITICAL means that if my CPU breaks down in 2019, I should be able to use Windows 7 SP1 with that CPU, not being forced to "upgrade" to Windows 10 revision 13123q212313123123123231231212fbs211231231231ffvfw342131.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    no, not that dense, nosense. i wondered about nadella inventing the wheel, given that he was giving away windose, and pushing aggressively, to get a market share.i wondered where his profit was, i saw none, his strategy could only anger paying customers.and i guessed that they were really desperate.but i still saw no profit.and there is none to be had. that i can see. i have seen brand new pcs arriving by the palletload. all OEM machines,if you get an order of say, 1000 pcs, you can afford to hire an ict guy to get them all booting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
    .....Face palm, Seriously read zdnet article.

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I've changed the title as the original was misleading.

If you're an enterprise customer and you buy a PC that contains a new CPU then you need to install Windows 10 onto it. If you don't then you'll only receive 18 months worth of support from Microsoft until you do upgrade.

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    You have misunderstood my post completely, you need to take into account which question I was responding to. Everything you write is correct, I totally agree with it. Where we differ is this: "The people who buy their new Skylake-based PC at Walmart or Best Buy may want to "downgrade" to Windows 7, and they can, yet they're going to be precluded from receiving anything but critical security updates."

I can only consider this a lesson to the people, who refuse to see M$ for what it is...
    It may be an expensive lesson, which occasionally happens on life to everybody.

But is it nothing compared to the problem M$ has. They are getting a huge problem with their cash flow.
    The numbers form 2015 show clearly that PC sales are down enormously also tablets. Yet, the masses of employees need to be paid and their is no turn around of the market anywhere in sight. Quite the opposite, everyone can already foretell that next years numbers will be no better.

The market for faster CPUs and for new "improved" OSs is shrinking rapidly.
    Unless you are intense gamer, where is the need for an improvement of Win7?
    Where is the need for anything faster than a i5 or maybe an i7?
    Put an SSD in your machine and what else will you need? Support?
    Do you have any idea how many people and companies still use XP without any problem?

"Also, don't be surprised if MS starts dropping Windows 7 support for older generation processors next."
    Why should that be a problem?

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    No, stupid people have always been next...

I am an old man, I admit. But with the help of websites like MDL I have learned to have a computer built to my needs and install whatever OS I want on it.
    If you are a consuming idiot who needs the latest model, because otherwise your damaged ego acts up. All right, then be the fool, companies like M$ cannot exist without your kind.

The problem is a lot larger than is obvious right now. Look at Mozilla and Firefox. How many people are employed to keep on "improving" Firefox? And how many people are getting p***ed off every time another "improved" version turns up?
    The whole IT market is reaching its limit.
    When was the last time you found something that could actually be considered real progress and something that was actual new and great?

7. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #68 pirithous, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    You read my sentence wrong: "MS are instituting artificial limitations on processors that will run virtualized Windows 3.1 just fine, but that won't run Windows 7 or 8, just 10."

What this means is instituting artificial software limitations which run on processors that run previous versions of Windows just fine. As to your other psychobabble, I have a lot better things to do than refute every one of your ill-thought out points, all coming from an obvious Microsoft shill. I'm glad though, you took so much time picking apart my post and responding to things out of context (not that I really even bothered reading more than the first sentence of your post).

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
  10. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    You could have tried at least one. :(

That's disappointing. You're spending time writing huge walls of text but can't be bothered to read a few sentences?

There's no reason it should. It's much more likely to fail due to unpatched flaws in the software; insufficient defense mechanisms against current methods of attack; vulnerabilities if it's networked; or due to hardware incompatibility if a component needs to be replaced.

11. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I did not say I agree with what is said, I'm just a messenger, lol:D

12. draken

draken MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Obviously I wasn't criticizing you but the article you linked to.

Completely biased article, backed up by our loved MS.

13. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    The article is only about support for Enterprise customers, I don't think that any future Intel CPU could be locked exclusively to run current and future versions of Windows 10!
    Imagine graphic cards and associated peripheral manufacturers uprising if it was actually true not to mention a very large market of PC enthusiasts who spend big $$$!

14. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #76 pirithous, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  15. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
  16. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #80 pirithous, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    No I didn't, you just assumed without asking.

Well good for you. You're entitled to your opinion. Lots of security professionals in the InfoSec community have stated their concern about Windows 10, and many people are stating Windows 10 is NSA's dream come true. Imagine a cluster of MS's servers getting hacked by NSA, or NSA finding a vulnerability in the proprietary encryption so they can eavesdrop on your browser history, synced files, and usage information about how you use your computer and when. MS's encryption is not known to be secure as the code cannot be vetted.

And you think the source code that the customer is seeing is what will be in the resulting binary? Hahaha!

Oh really, which open source project? Why don't you name some? Where are your references? Post some links, rather than pulling "facts" out of thin air. NSA tips MS off about unpatched vulnerabilities years in advance so Windows machines are easily exploited so FBI and NSA can own any machine on a whim. MS tries to spin it as "oh look as us, we're so good...we give this information to NSA to prepare everybody for this patch", but it's a load of crap. Anyway, I think we're done here, this back and forth has been pretty boring.