Enterprise customers with new CPUs will require Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Garbellano, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

I believe there is a misunderstanding here...

I am one of those old fashioned people who have a computer to use it for their purposes, I am using a computer solely as the medium. All I am interested in is, that it works, first of all. I started out with Netscape when that appeared, then switched to Mozilla. Ff does exactly what I want, usually updates do more, which usually are things that I neither want nor need.

For what comes down to political/ethical reasons I will never use any product from Apple, Google or M$, if that is possible.
    You will not find anything from me on twitter or facebook, I do not exist on Google either and have no need to use a "smart"phone. I have not even a problem with others reading what is in my e-mails, or what is stored on my computer.

But I do not want to be governed by scum that actually consider these things their job, and I want nothing to do with people, that actually go out and vote for them. So why would I be interested in people or companies whose intelligence is limited to making profit, at the cost of other people's freedom?

2. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    That is just more nonsense...

Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver_3.0.5.69

Works perfectly....

PS
    Hospitals do not have problem because their XP Software collapses, I have never worked in a hospital whose system is connected to the internet. The last hospital that had huge casualties was the one that the US bombed, because doctors there dared to treat Afghanis....

3. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Another Apple employee heard from

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Windows 7 was released 6 1/2 years ago on July 22, 2009. Probably a full 7 years if you count the beta. There are a lot more users now. Did MS factor that into their "achieved better figures than Windows 7" number? I can't prove anything but my totally random guess is "NO".

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #106 T-S, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Exactly. That's why i used Opera and nothing else for almost 20 years, that's why I'm using its legit successor.

No offence but the People who never used them, is so used to inferior products that doesn't have one half of the questions for all the answers they can provide.

Opera introduced practically any of the modern features aped by the other browsers, but the number of those features and possibilities is so high that the apeing process is still half way. Even vivaldi is not (yet) on par, but its team did more in one year than FF or chrome in their whole history.

For the same political reason I'll never use FF, which was "sold" as a real Open source project, when it started as a way to save Netscape.

Frankly I'm an open source paladin, but if I have to choose between a trustworthy company, lead by a trustworthy person like Jon von Tetzchner, from a trustworthy nation like the Norway, and a debatable open source project ran by a company who has its headquarter in front of the Google one, and by people who used to share the lunch with google people, I trust the former. No matter the official label of open/free or commercial.

I think you're just sticking some political reason on top of your habits. You tried Vivaldi for half an hour and decided it was bad.

I'm using it since the day one (exactly one year now) and I have yet to manage all it has to offer...

Whatever... I respect your "receipt". It's good. You just start with the wrong ingredients.

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Reading is not your forte?
    If you would have bothered to read #101, you might have noticed this:

"For what comes down to political/ethical reasons I will never use any product from Apple, Google or M$, if that is possible."

All this has enormous consequences for the whole world, so to me this all is rather serious, it is not a football match...
    I am not one of those billions of people who walk along a street and see a large heap of dog-sh** and almost next to it, they see a small one, and then happily step into that one...

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    They are probably not counting the installations themselves, but the updates they sent out under false pretences that will somehow force unsuspected users to install it even against their will, because they have never heard, for instance, of MDL.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Several Opera versions have INBUILT send-back options to Google... do you really think I will waste my time on researching a software like that???
    Several of my add ons that I use daily are not working on Vivaldi? Installing a browser that I cannot really find out who is connected to is, and that does NOT do all I want it to do, would be silly, wouldn't it?

Its like the Win7 to Win10 change, even like the 32, to 64but change... I like improvements, but for me, all are changes for changes sake, they offer nothing for me. They are basically job-savers for developers and moneymakers for share holders.
    I rather spend my money on good food and travelling around the world.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    What are you talking about Opera or Opium? Would be pointless to reply on that if you don't have a clear idea of what happened in the latest years

I'm curious to know which are those unreplaceable extensions

As I said I like your receipt, but I think you'`re using the wrong ingredients starting from a lot of "precooked" stereotypes.

10. esemef

esemef MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013
    #111 esemef, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    You can't just brush aside OpenSSL as an easy target, and then attack Microsoft who are the easiest target due to their market share.
    Linux is a security nightmare because it was created by people who think that open source means it will be security audited, but that is a myth.

If Linux had a greater market share then you would see more malware on it. Android is catching up with Windows already in that regard and due to the market fragmentation caused by the copy & paste mentality in open source projects, the average person can't even update their phone.

11. Frank2012

Frank2012 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2012
    Is this correct:

In the future, when I buy an Intel Kaby Lake system from Dell or HP, I can format the hard drive that has Windows 10 pre-installed and install my own copy of Windows 7. It will install and work, but it will not receive updates or patches from Microsoft.

--------------------------------------------

How will Microsoft prevent updates? I guess they could put a check in Windows Update and display an error instead of downloading the updates, but couldn't the security updates be downloaded manually or downloaded on a Windows 7 pre-Skylake and then transferred to the Windows 7 Kaby Lake machine? What about slipstreaming the updates to a disc and then doing a clean install on a Kaby Lake system?

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I think you are mixing up a lot of things.

Yes, the installed base is a factor on security, that's true for OSes and for applications.

Just to talk of things mentioned above, Opera (the real one) was secure by itself, but was even more secure because its limited market share, Vivaldi and the actual opera are way less prone to catch the usual crap aimed to Chrome, even if the foundations are the same, and so on.

But no, saying that Linux has a limited market share can be true for desktop, but its market share in server was always higher than windows, so it was more exposed on relevant areas, including OpenSSL

No again for OpenSSL. It's not a linux thing, its more close to the BSD world, and given isn't protected by a good GPL license, it was used in any areas on closed and open projects, so its openness is not a discriminant, it's just a piece of code complex to debug and with a delicate role.

As any widespread and well accepted SW, changing a bit on it can lead to regressions, incompatibilities, unexpected results on corner cases and so on. That is the main reason behind its relatively static state.
    People are scared to break things, that's the problem more than the lack of reviewers.

LibreSSL had 90000 lines of code removed during the first months because being a fork its maintainers felt more free to manage its code.

The IT world, although based on binary logic, isn't binary at all. It's still analog like the humans who write the code.

There are good closed SW, there are good open SW, the the Open source model is important because the sw can be checked against backdoors and unwanted features, that's the main point.
    The SW quality is important but not as its trustworthiness.

Just think to the simple example of the whitelisted domains included on DNS related dlls on windows. Afaik nothing like that was ever discovered on the equivalent libs on Linux, *BSD and alike.

13. evil_pro

evil_pro MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    To be honest this was pretty much predictable.
    When I bought my Skylake system I couldn't even use any USB Controllers with Windows 7 due to Windows 7 lacking xHCI support (without 3rd party drivers).
    Imagine installing drivers on an OS without mouse and keyboard. That was a joy.

14. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014

find a patched driver its exist

15. evil_pro

evil_pro MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    I already managed to get it working, but thanks anyways!