Enterprise LTSB for Gaming

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by v0mit, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If you guys don't want all that (what you call) "windows 10 crap etcetc..." why not stay on windows 7?

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Because it's old, and does not support DX12

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You know that this is one of the most idiotic technical question ever?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You conveniently forgot to quote the lead in to this remark ;)

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #45 T-S, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Lead or not, doesn't change anything. is still an Idiotic question asked endlessly by any MS fanboy on any forum.

Unless you think that is clever to ask why someone may want a faster OS, with updated kernel, drivers, DirectX, desktop UI, file deduplication, integrated tethering, and whatever, but doesn't want the spyware crap or the idiotic and useless "square" apps

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You're completly wright.

I only read terms like "crap this, crap that, spyware this spyware that....". Not once i've seen that someone had a log that something else than technical info has been sent to ms.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

A log of what? The info sent to MS are encrypted AFAIK, you will never know exactly what is sent to MS.

And that alone is enough to call it crap.

8. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You mean like over 50% of the worlds population, and how over 10% are on 8.1 and less than 8% are on win 10, maybe they haven't been bitten by the social butterfly lifestyle yet.

9. d1glow

d1glow MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    There should only be 4 SKu's Home, Pro, Enterprise, Gaming.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I notice that you* only want read what you want to see.

There are many socalled mdl members only talking about crap this crap that, not one of them gives a argumented judgement, only copy/paste from other members/sites.

Nobody is forced to use win 10, so if one hates all of it, don't use it.

I used Win 7 as example because 10 LTSB is considered the nearest thing to 7.

*Not you in person but the people reacting on my comment.

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #51 odiebugs1, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    True, but not so much this time as your post was pretty short. I'm sure you see the reasons why people complain but still might use it. I can install 8 or 10 in about 6 mins, and there are other options that help like what Mr Magic posted.

MS doesn't hand us a OS and say here, you can add what you want and give full control over the OS, it must be forced. In reality for performance, there's no reason to use 10 over 8, but if you wanted facial rec then you'll want 10.

How about the question, why do people care about people complaining ? Do you own MS stock and hate to see people put it down ?

Why did I respond, just to join in. Most of your posts are great, I guess I wanted to rock the boat. :p

Plus I was waiting for the movie seventh son to load a little bit more. :biggrin:

12. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    well without the good features in 10576 there is no reason to bother with it just yet

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It keeps rambling on...

14. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    No, there should be exactly one SKU that includes everything - with the option to customize during setup what components you want to install, instead of this "one size fits all" approach where you have to go through the hassle of building (and tweaking) a custom WIM file to accomplish this.

15. v0mit

v0mit MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    #55 v0mit, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    (OP)
    FERRIS WHEEL IS THE ONLY RIDE I WANTED TO GO ON! Plus I can bring my own rides if I want! :p

Anyway, it seems like LTSB N is a good option for gaming if you like a more barebones version of windows. Currently there's nothing on CB that LTSB doesn't have that is required for any game. It also seems unlikely that that will change in the future. LTSB does not break compatibility with games (or any applications as far as I can tell). Thanks everyone who replied, and we can all stop the bickering now ;)

16. BiostarBeast

BiostarBeast MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2015
    Copy paste Copy paste! Christ let it go! If you actually feel that your so important, That someone should actually take the time to go out and buy two of the same machines, And install two different operating systems, Just to benchmark and prove something to you? Sorry! Your not! It's just like seeing a car and saying it's red! Do you ask the person to prove it? I understand not taking someones word on everything! That is just common sense! But don't you think as far as this issue goes, You might just be acting a bit absurd?

But I can confirm LTSB does improve a gaming rig.
    My specs are:
    CPU: i5-3470
    GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Ram: PNY 16GB 1600mhz
    PSU: Corsair RM650
    And no there is no increase in max FPS, But it has helped big on framerate drops, And helped average FPS. Also load times are slightly better in Fallout 4. And yes you can say I copied and pasted! Because I am not backing it up with facts! I am not re-installing pro and doing it over again. Oh how non-trendie I am. (When will the dumbed down fake intellectual fad end already?)

17. SPDIF

SPDIF MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #57 SPDIF, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Just to clarify: Windows 10 Home users get updates continuously. Windows 10 Pro customers have the ability to choose between Windows Update or Windows Update for Businesses as well as delay updates.
    Windows 10 Enterprise for larger volume license customers and (probably) Windows In tune subscribers can choose as they prefer for different devices. On installation/deployment time, Enterprise customers can choose between two deployments of Windows 10 Enterprise edition to handle updates:

• CB (Current Branch) is just referred to as Windows 10 Enterprise and is available on MSDN and on the TechNet eval center. This version has Edge, modern apps and the ability to have rapid updates or slower updates determined by the Enterprise IT department or policy settings. Can use Windows Update, Windows Update for business or WSUS. Can delay updates.
    • LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch) is a different ISO file, referred to as Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB. This is a different deployment almost altogether, where you at the moment do not get either the Edge browser or Modern apps because you need Windows to be as stable in feature-set and updates as possible for mission critical applications. The LTSB edition will have its feature set be updated semi-annually and ONLY receive critical updates or security fixes in the interim. Updated as Windows 7/8 was, using tools like Config Manager or WSUS. Can block updates.

So be aware that for LTSB it actually can take one year or more before you get an new version.
    So yes, i think it will be good for gaming as windows does not lose time on sending telemetry and all bloatware installed.

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    The less CPU cycles are used doing useless/unwanted/harmful things, the more CPU cycles are available for useful/requested task.

Pretty obvious for everyone except the MS fanboys.

19. supersonic124

supersonic124 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2014
    Have there been any actual tests to prove LTSB has better performance? Outside of placebo and anecdotal stuff?

20. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    On a modern system with 16GB DDR3 RAM? None whatsoever.

On systems with 2-4GB of RAM you'll find LTSB to be more lightweight, as it loads less processes etc into RAM